Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 
mechilcutt

Circling the drain

We've had Nemo for about 3 years now. 6 months ago we moved into a new place and moved him from the small 1.5 gal tank we had him in (parents didnt want a larger tank in their house) into a 10 gal tank. Ever since then it seems we have been battling fin rot. we seemed to have it under control in the sense he wasnt losing any more fin, but he wasnt growing new fin either. This past month has been a different story however, his fins have all but disappeared. We Isolated him from his companion we bought him (female betta) by putting him back in the 1.5gal tank and treated VERY aggressively with Maracin and Maracin II. Today makes the 6th day of treatment and know his color is all but gone and he had white growth all around his gills, almost like a beard. I found a store in town that gives free RO Water and just did a complete water change on him. I also physically removed the white growth from around his gills. The past few days he has been vertical in the tank, head up, and staying behind the filter or next to the heater. now that I have done the water change, he is sitting on the bottom of the tank head up. He swims some, but doesn't seem to have the strength to stay horizontal. I am still treating the tank with AQ Salt, but dont want to over do it with the antibiotics. What else can I do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal (currently 1.5 for isolation)
What temperature is your tank? 78 *F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Female Betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? One Pellet per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks on 10 gallon ( did first water change after 5 full days of antibiotic treatment on 1.5 gal)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AQ salt, NOVaqua, Amquel

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Paled, Loss of Fins, White Growth around gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargy and Loss of Appetite (in ability to swim to eat)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, did a course of Maracin II 6 months ago, and just treated for 5 days with Maracin and Maracin II
Does your fish have any history of being ill? The Past 6 months
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 years
mechilcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 
mechilcutt

UPDATE:

Now he is laying on his side at the bottom of the tank and not moving at all. He IS breathing, just not swimming or any other movement
mechilcutt is offline   Reply With Quote