Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 
Wolfy

Multiple bettas stressed out - filter?

I have a 29 gallon tank subdivided into 5 partitions, with a single male betta in 3 of the partitions, a paradise fish in one, and one partition empty. The tank is relatively new, but cloned in part from my mature 55 gallon tank. The only water parameter that is questionable is the pH, which is a bit higher than I would like at 7.6. There are two power filters - one pretty gentle and small, and one large and noisy with high flow. The betta partitions are the 3 partitions where the filters do not flow directly - in fact, there is only minimal current in the betta partitions.

When I set this up, one of my bettas started acting stressed immediately - I figured it was the shock of being moved from his old tank to the new tank, or maybe an injury during the move. He held on for several weeks, but finally died two days ago.

About 3 days ago, one of the other bettas started acting stressed out as well, and the 3rd betta has now followed suit. The paradise fish seems to be doing well.

Other than the obvious stress, I can see no other signs of illness - they simply lay on the bottom, rising to the surface every once in a while to breathe.

Just to be sure they weren't stressing at the sight of each other, I erected some opaque plastic between the partitions, but that seemed to make no difference. (Besides, they had been able to see each other when I had them in separate tanks.)

I'm beginning to suspect that they are stressed out by the continual sound of the large filter, which is several orders of magnitude noisier than the gentle flow from their previous residences.

Does this seem like a reasonable possibility? Would it be a good idea to shut off the big noisy filter until I can arrange something that will be less stressful to these guys? (I can run out tonight and get something if necessary.)
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

7.6 is just fine, remember bettas are hardy. Mine is at 7.6.

It could be the filter. Getting a sponge filter, could work for them. I use marina 20 pump, which is quiet - a member on here has had problems with one of the larger ones being obnoxious. Then an adjustable flow valve, tubing, and the sponge filter

Is the paradise fish a paradise gourami?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
Wolfy

Thanks for responding, Sena.

Last night, I ended up switching off the filter. Within an hour, betta #2 was up and and about, and 2 hours after that, he was acting fully normal. It was too late for betta #3, unfortunately - he got himself wedged under a decoration, possibly trying to get away from the noise.

I ended up buying a much gentler filter today - it doesn't seem to be bothering any of the fish. I hope it continues to do the trick.

It's not too hard to imagine that the continuous noise would stress these guys out - it would stress me out if I had to listen to it 24 hours a day. The poor fish may have simply been exhausted from a lack of proper rest.

I believe paradise fish and paradise gouramis are one and the same.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

It would be from the vibrations. It probably would hurt their little ears!! My Red NEEDS a filter silly guy is sulking now that I took away the sponge filter lol!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

IAL will drastically lower your ph. Mine went from 7.6 to 6.0

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta stress filter noise