Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #1 
LittleWatty

Is this Aquarium Safe?

So, a couple weeks ago I bought a plastic tree trunk cave-thing that I thought would be a nice natural-looking hiding place for my betta when I got him. However... I don't know if its aquarium safe. Since I got near to my perfect fish, I'm wary of anything that's not made especially for aquariums.

The tree trunk has no paints on it, and it says its made from a 'wood-plastic composite', and is a 'natural' tree trunk small hideout. So, I really don't know if it would be bad for a tank or not? Attached are pictures of the little cave (currently in my 6.6 that I'm trying to cycle) and its tag.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not too sure on that... some plastics can leach, as do woods - but considering MOST wood items made for critters (some are dangerous but people use them...) are not made from sap trees, but birch or such types. If anything, you could try to find aquarium safe coating, and do a layer.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #3 
lelei

If it is not "Aquarium Safea" I wouldn't chance it.. there are a lot of nice lil caves I saw on Amazon..and recently bought one for our sammy..and come to find out for our particular tank, it is too wide, we have a cylindrical tank..but the cave is adorable..and Petco and Petsmart have a lot of cute hiding holes too:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 
registereduser

It has to be non toxic because the little rodents chew it to bits.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

The problem with that, is that water vs not in water. Did you know many things we give our animals, if placed in hot water or water for a certain amount of time will eventually leach something into the watery environment? Many plastics, whether animal safe or not, can prove dangerous in aquariums as they begin to break down because they were not meant to be in aquariums.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #6 
lvandert

hmm I would put a layer of aquarium sealant over it before committing it to a tank. just to calm my worries about it
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Agreed :3
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 
LittleWatty

Ok. I'll have to go looking for some of that while I'm at petco. I really want to use it XD and it was cheap. I think it was like $4
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oh I know what you mean if you got an aquarium cave it would've maybe be 30.00 minimum >< for me, here, anyways.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

yeah, a lot of times wood will secrete acid if it's in water and that usually isn't good....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote