Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #1 
Newtonbetta

Question on webbing of delta tail

I just purchased this delta a week ago. This is my first experience with the highly-webbed fish tails. I am used to crowntails...

Anyways, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think i see a little slit in the webbing on the upper right of the back fin.

My question for all you experienced people with these types of tails is, how much slitting is normal? I mean, it seems hard to believe that they'd stay perfect, no matter how good the water quality. I keep the water clean, heated, filtered, etc. But when should I be concerned? He is obsessed with the betta log, always swimming in, out, and under it.

Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Every long finned betta will tear their fins now and then - whether flaring, plants, ornaments, or for no apparent reason when you should be concerned, is if infection or rot occurs - which if you do take good care of him, shouldn't be an issue. You also don't need to medicate for little tears and blown fins, they heal on their own
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 
True Indigo

Sena has the right answer. As long as there are no other signs of stress or sickness, then there's nothing to worry about. If you'll look at my avatar of my fish, Gyarados, you'll see his fins torn and split. He's a tail biter, sadly, and often flares to the point of splitting his unusually long fins. However, he's as healthy as could be and never shows signs of stress or sickness.

I wouldn't worry too much, your delta probably just won't have "perfect" fins as much as we'd all probably like. That's just the general risk with long finned fish. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. He's a beautiful one despite that.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
Newtonbetta

thanks all!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 
True Indigo

No problem! You have one of the better deltas I've seen in that color so be proud. ^_^
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

He's so purty :3
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #7 
Newtonbetta

Help guys.... This has gotten a LOT worse, in ONE day... Not sure what I'm doing wrong, this is an established tank. Todays water #s...

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Hardness 25
Alk 60
Ph 6.5
Ammonia 0

10gal, divided, filtered with aqueon 20, 77F heated.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

What type of plants do you have in there, and check the inside of any caves for rough edges. Remove all plastic plants, IMO, and just use silk/fabric plants.

Not sure from the picture, but could he be biting? Is the divider clear and another betta on the other side? Some bettas bite from this, some don't.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9 
Newtonbetta

Plants are silk. Divider has plastic mesh that cannot be seen through.
I'm guessing it's the betta log ornament. He's always in it. It rests against the glass wall of the aquarium, and he loves to push up between the glass and the log to get in the other side of the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
What type of plants do you have in there, and check the inside of any caves for rough edges. Remove all plastic plants, IMO, and just use silk/fabric plants.

Not sure from the picture, but could he be biting? Is the divider clear and another betta on the other side? Some bettas bite from this, some don't.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

that might be why I try keeping all objects away from the tank sides, considering some of my boys love to try turning around in a small space - or my females get stuck