Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 
lelei

Question Best Way to Cup a Betta??

Well, as far I know I am hearing "Nets" are not good to get betta's out of tanks, my problem is I am thinkin of changing the gravel in the tank..."Sammy" is very difficult..as probably most fish to "CUP" and I was so scared last time, becuz I don't want to hurt him, tried baggies..very close but it's time cosuming..ughh..
So I need to figure out how you guys get your betta's out of the (Main tank) for cleaning..I need to do a full tank change..and the first time..was fairly easy..but something spooked him, and now he sees the cup, or baggie..and he gets so mad, and goes in every direction, so I find myself chasing him, and scaring him more..so I give up..for the fear that I will make him sick..is there another way??
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Lol, well I wrestle mine out pretty much. I can chase my girl with a cup and she'll turn around and bite me in defense.
I take all decor out so there's no where to hide. If you have trouble, lure him up with food and then scoop him up quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 
Laki

It's a struggle. I made Ludendorff just so fatigued once trying to catch him. You have to sneak up on them and scoop them really fast. I hate doing it, in fact, bc they cannot control their swimming and just spin around in the water for a second. I feel bad doing it but I've never had a real problem. I'm not opposed to netting either, I've never snagged them or bumped them.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 
littlegreen

You might have to be a little sneaky! Coax him up to the top with the promise of food. That might help.
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 
True Indigo

I've tried a few different methods to cup my fish. Usually the best and easiest way is to have him follow my finger while I have the cup submerged in his tank and he goes right in. Then it's just a matter of tipping the cup up so he's in it. That usually works with the least amount of stress. Other times I'll just maneuver it slowly in front of him and he sometimes will just swim in, then tip it up and I have him.

Sometimes using my eye dropper (I use to either get food that has fallen to the bottom or to feed him frozen food) for him to follow is also a good method that is similar to the finger one. One time I put a piece of food in the area of the cup and that seemed to work (but be aware that sometimes the food will float out if you don't catch their attention in time).

Best of luck!
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 
lelei

Well, you know I tried that..and i was soo close..uggh..and then he went all the way to the bottom, and again..I waited..and thenn he wouldnt come for the food..so I gave up on that tecnique..cuz then I didnt want him to stop coming for food..:(
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 
True Indigo

Give him some time. Are there any little games you play with him or use to greet him that he's used to?
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Teach him that cups = Food. No struggle :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 
lelei

Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #10 
lelei

Thanks guys for the advice..will keep trying:)