Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 
sparkyjoe

Percival meets Manny

I already have Red Cherry Shrimp in one of my tanks, but thought I would try an Amano Shrimp in another one of my tanks that has my "baby giant" betta, Percival, in it.

I got the shrimp last weekend and he was immediately named Manny. (I dunno why/where I got that name, but it stuck.)

This is a pic of Percival and Manny's first meeting. OK, I don't know if "meeting" is the right word since Percy was chasing the poor shrimp around like a crazy fish!

Name:  2012-05-26_17-09-10_738.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  40.7 KB

I hadn't seen poor Manny since Sunday, but I found him tucked under a leaf, munching away on some algae yesterday, so I guess he's found a way to hide away from the big bad monster in the tank!! I've added a pair (m/f) of the Cherry Shrimp from the other tank, and hope Percival gives up on chasing them.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 
lelei

I love that expression on his face..(while looking directly at that shrimp) "Like saying..YU better realize this is my tank, buddy!!
cute..will he eat the shrimp?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I love that expression on his face..(while looking directly at that shrimp) "Like saying..YU better realize this is my tank, buddy!!
cute..will he eat the shrimp?
He was checkin' Manny out all right.

I don't know that he would actually "eat" him, but kill him? Yeah, that's a possibility. That's why I chose Manny, because he was in the middle of the size range of the Amano Shrimp my LFS had available. I hoped his size might give him a chance without being so big that he wouldn't be able to hide. Since he managed to completely disappear for almost a week I think he must have enough hiding spots with the plants, moss, and log in the tank.

If Manny manages to make it a few more weeks, I'll see if I can afford an Amano buddy for him, but for now he'll have to do with the pair of RCS for companions.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

kinda surprised he lasted this long. his siblings eat anything you put in with them. One of his brothers nearly tore a toothpick out of my hand when feeding some bloodworms.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
sparkyjoe

I know VOG, the crazy boy actually went after some plant tongs that I was using in his tank, and leaps out of the water to assault my fingers when I feed him, so I didn't give Manny and the Cherry Shrimps (why does that sound like the name of a classic rock band?) much of a chance. I guess all the plants in the tank, and the wicked fast reflexes of those little crustaceans, have really helped!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
BettaJen

Manny and the Cherry Shrimps does sound like a classic rock band. XD
I have a friend named Percival, so it was amusing to see this.
How are they doing now?
I'd like to add more creatures with my Betta in the future so info will help. He doesn't seem to be that aggressive. He's gotten older. May be it. Rarely flaring.
BettaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
sparkyjoe

Well, it may now be back to Percival and Manny since I haven't seen the Cherry Shrimps in... a few days.

Manny the Amano is a bit bigger than the Cherries he's also a little smarter? He has his spot behind a leaf that's positioned right over one end of the wooden log in the tank and he eats away on the part of the log that's hidden. I can usually just see some legs or an antenna, rarely he'll come out of hiding, but he always tucks back in when "Death from Above", aka Percival, swims past.

It's possible that the Cherries are still hiding somewhere, but I'm afraid that they were lulled into a false sense of security since they'd been in the tank with my more peaceful, and long finned!, betta boy who's too slow to catch any of them even though he tries.

Tags
amano shrimp, red cherry shrimp