Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 
cassccc

Unhappy Please help me save my Kitty Kat!! T.T

Hi everyone, my poor fish, Kitty Kat, is ill. It was fine two days ago and suddenly, it has bright blood-red edges at the end of its tail, which seems to be getting shorter. The rest of its tail and fins are partly transparent (I think?) because it is still young (< six months old). Its body used to be dark blue and red in colour and now it's pale and dull. However, Kitty Kat is still very active and eats well.

I've done some research and the symptoms seem to match "tail rot" but I am unsure if it's bacterial rot or fungal rot. As such, all I've done so far is to put it in a "hospital tank" with clean water and aquarium salt. Is anyone able to tell me if this is a bacterial or fungal infection so that I can administer the right medication? Also, let me know if there's anything else I can do to cure Kitty Kat!

P.S. I'm sorry that the pictures are blur and grainy. It is night time and I was afraid that using flash will frighten Kitty Kat. :(
Attached Images

cassccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

What was the size of his regular tank, and how often do you clean it? Were there any changes in the enviornment? Like..conditioner, a new plant, a new filter etc? And what temperature was the tank at?

Also just checking but did you dissolve the salt before adding?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 
cassccc

Hi, thanks for your reply. He was kept in a starter one-gallon tank and I do a 100% water change every three days. I don't use a heater because I live in a tropical country and on average, it's 86 F everyday here. There were no recent changes in the environment but I did just feed him bloodworms two days ago. I feed all my bettas bloodworms thrice a week and so far, nothing odd has happened to them.

Yup, I mixed the salt, conditioner and water in a separate bucket before transferring it to the hospital tank.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Is there a chance he decided to start biting his fins? Will he still flare for you? Could you get a picture of him flaring? Even if it is blurry, that's alright.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 
cassccc

Sorry, I tried placing a mirror and other tanks near him but he just wouldn't flare for me right now. :/ Typically, he flares at me every time I go and see him in the morning. I haven't ever noticed him flaring at my other bettas or at his own reflection before. Is that strange?

Also, if he is biting his own tail, I haven't caught him in the act yet. But he does have a pretty long tail which tends to make him tilt slightly backwards at times (not entirely sure if that is because of the weight of his tail though).
Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Okay well if he isn't a constant flaring machine, that's alright. However, when did you get him? And where? Pet stores, if not the "baby betta" they would typically be older than 11 months, so most people round it to a year and count from then on.

I have an ol' boy, Georgie, who's recovered from fin rot after living with goldfish! His fins have gotten SO much thicker and he's begun chewing them down.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 
cassccc

I got him in January at a local fish store. It's not one of those big chain stores. At that time he was so tiny, his body was only about the size of my thumb nail, and he was placed together with all his other siblings (I presume) in a small tank at the store. I have heard when bettas are still very young, they will not fight with each other. Not sure how true that is but if it is indeed true, he should be pretty young when I got him. :) He has grown rapidly since then and now his body is about the length of my thumb.

Wow, I didn't know that you can put bettas together with goldfish. Sometimes I am worried that my bettas might feel "forever alone" but I don't dare to get them tankmates for fear of bloodshed! :S
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Ahhh ok so he was a baby betta.

And no, they should never be with goldies - this is what happened

I found Georgie as a massive boy in the pet store, with goldfish in his tank. The manager said he came WITH the goldfish, not the betta shipment! Which is why the poor guy had rot - since goldies are very messy. Now he has a 10 gallon heated, and he's colored up very nicely. I'll add a picture to show you just how big Georgie is My Red, pictured, is not dinky, but is fairly young - he's done some growing since being with me. But Georgie is probably that size because of his age :)

Yeah some bettas can be with other fish... but you have to make sure the other fish are not fin nippers, aggressive, or cold water/brackish water fish of course. I've had my betta Spartan with guppies before, but he was raised around other fish - and he was not as aggressive as some bettas.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 
cassccc

Wow, your fish have beautiful colours! Two of mine are dark blue/red (kinda like Georgie) and the last one is turquoise. When I first bought Kitty Kat, he was silver with a tinge of red but he turned out to be dark blue, bummer, haha (I love him just as much though :D).

Anyway, it's nice to see Georgie so vibrant and massive now after his fin rot. You must be relieved! Now I only hope that Kitty Kat, like Georgie, can be cured too. His tail seems to be getting shorter as we speak. :( Would you advise that I get him some medicine ASAP or just continue with the salt baths? If the first, which medicine would you recommend?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I would try AQUARIUM SALT first. 10-14 days MAXIMUM, with daily water changes, you can up it to 3 teaspoons per gallon, and be very firm with yourself to do the full treatment. Then wean off of the salt, and see how he does.

Tags
bacterial infection, fin rot damage, fungal disease, red edge, tail rot