Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 
Voulcan

Smile Fire & Ice: Venus & Vulcan

Hello and happy day everyone
My name's Ronny and I'm a new daddy to a pair of 2 beautiful Betta fishies
A very red male I named Vulcan (Roman God of Fire)
& a gorgeous turquoise female - Venus (Goddess of beauty)

This is my first aquarium and my very first Betta fishies
I rescued them yesterday from a small local pet shop,
whose Bettas are kept in tiny plastic bags
I have instantly fell in love with the beautiful Betta fish

Now, I've researched a lot, learning and still reading
I'm very excited to join the magnificent world of Betta's
I have also caught a big interest in planted tanks -
I would love to build a natural environment for my Betta's in the future

So here's the short story of the beloved couple -
Although I read everywhere about Betta's aggressive nature
and how they should be kept alone,
I decided to try and house them together - and to my (and yours?) surprise...
Allow me to say, *knocks on wood* I am blessed with the most friendly, calm and gentle, fishie couple.

Firstly, together they began exploring their new tank, 'slow dancing' side by side.
Then, it seems like they're very respectful towards each other -
When one is resting at the bottom the other keeps to his own.

I've learned their behavour and different personallities
Vulcan - The peace and harmony in the tank are thanks to this little fellow's delicate nature.
He is very calm. He spends most of the time swimming elegantly around the tank. Occasionally he will ask Venus to join him, and she usually does.

Venus - She's more playful and active but a little more hessitant and camera shy than Vulcan.
Venus prefers the deep, I caught her sleeping inside one of my shells this afternoon.

Oh, I also caught them doing this very adorable thing I called "fishie pebble tennis"
They were swimming near the bottom when suddenly Vulcan picked up a small pebble and passed it to Venus - she caught the pebble and then spitted it out back to Vulcan. They did it a couple times
It was very fun to watch

So what do you guys think, can this work out?
A lovely Betta couple living in harmony?

I am very happy, I love my new fishies

Now, I've got some more questions for you guys
First, could someone please confirm they really are male & female?
Could you also help identify their kind & age if possible
I think Vulcan is a solid red Veiltail while Venus is a crown tail?

Are their fins okay? Do they look like healthy fish to you?

As you'll see in the pics, I don't have a filter, nor heat or air pump at the moment.
Sadly I cannot trust the owners of the small pet shop in my town to suggest me of filters and stuff
I do want the best for my fish, what do you guys recommend?

I would also like to add some real plants to the tank,
But I feel I should read a lot more about it before I get anything
Perhaps some java moss for a start?

Woo, this post came out a lot bigger than I had planned, pardon!

I hope you guys enjoy my Betta pictures,
Have a wonderful day
Attached Images

Voulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
Gamma

I might be wrong but.... I'm pretty Venus is a boy. (If he/she is a dragon he/she is probably a female. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) Anyways, Venus is a crowntail, prehaps dragon? while Vuclan is a solid red veil tail or VT.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

http://www.Bettatalk.com

let me start off by saying welcome! I am glad you decided to rescue these Bettas. Bettas should not be kept together, unless for breeding circumstances which will cause the Betttas to become stressed if not acclimated properly. I recommend a tank of at least 5 gallons with at least a heater. Betta are tropical fish and need to have their temperature constantly between 78-80 degrees. I recommend removing the female from the tank, because if they are constantly together, the female will become stressed and could lower her immune system, causing her to be more susceptible to disease. Vulcan is a red veitail male, and Venus is a crown tail female. A tank your size should be cleaned twice a week, and with every water change you should check your water parameters(ph, hardness, alkalinity, etc...) and add water conditionder/dechlorinator. Bettas are also very good jumpers, so i recommend a tank cover.

Sorry to give you so much information, but i just want your betta friends to be as healthy and happy as possible. Let me know if i can assist you in any other way.

Cheers,

MyRainbowBettaFish
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
Enkil

Welcome!

Vulcan is definitely a red male VT.
Venus seems to be suffering from some fin loss. Most likely from nipping.

They really shouldn't be kept together. It's very stressful for them. Males should be kept in tanks by themselves or in community tanks with fish they can get along with. Females should be kept seperately, in community tanks, or in sororities. The general rule is 1 gallon per inch of fish. However, I don't own a tank smaller than 3.5 gallons. For plants, anubias keeps well in low light and you can leave it floating. A lot of my bettas use theirs to rest on up near the surface.

If you don't have a lid, you'll have to keep their water level low. Bettas are known jumpers. I haven't had this problem, but I'm very careful and all my tanks have lids.

With heaters, I get ones that you can adjust. That way you can increase their temp when treating for illness.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Welcome!

Vulcan is definitely a red male VT.
Venus seems to be suffering from some fin loss. Most likely from nipping.

They really shouldn't be kept together. It's very stressful for them. Males should be kept in tanks by themselves or in community tanks with fish they can get along with. Females should be kept seperately, in community tanks, or in sororities. The general rule is 1 gallon per inch of fish. However, I don't own a tank smaller than 3.5 gallons. For plants, anubias keeps well in low light and you can leave it floating. A lot of my bettas use theirs to rest on up near the surface.

If you don't have a lid, you'll have to keep their water level low. Bettas are known jumpers. I haven't had this problem, but I'm very careful and all my tanks have lids.

With heaters, I get ones that you can adjust. That way you can increase their temp when treating for illness.

Agree!!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

I agree - Beautiful bettas, but they are not meant to be together. As much as you might hope to believe your bettas will have a beautiful fishy romance, it is much more dangerous for the fish than anything else. The female will be bullied, and even if you can't see it happen, those tears in her fins are more likely than not from the male nipping at her. Both fish will very much enjoy their own separate tanks. :)
The male Vulcan is a handsome red veiltail male, as stated above.
The female Venus is a multicolor blue and red wash crowntail. Her fins will heal in her own tank with nice, very clean water. I reccomend no less than 2.5 gallons per fish, unless you are able to keep up with daily water changes. Heaters are a must and although filters are not neccessary, they can help maintain water quality and clarity.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
michbelle

For a heater, I'd recommend the elite submersible heater, which ever is appropriate for your tanks size. I have one and have not have any problems with it. It's in my 3 gallon tank and the temperature is adjustable but there is no way to read which temperature it is at without a thermometer. For a thermometer I would recommend the marina floating thermometer. As for a filter.. You could get a sponge filter but I don't have any because it seems that all filters have too strong of current for my betta to stand a chance against them.

Advice when it comes to filters, you will probably have to baffle whatever filter you do choose though I have read that sponge filters have verrrry low currents. When it comes to plants I think Anubias is very nice. So is java fern and water wisteria. I think Swords are nice my plakat loves to swim through them and soon as I put in live plants to his tank he started making nice little bubble nests even my baby betta makes bubble nests. They all seem especially fond of java moss though.

Whatever you choose good luck!
michbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

Hi! And welcome! Well first I want you to Know the peace is most likely temporary, males and females will kill each other. Eeek! It's best you have separate containers. Your male is a VT (veil tale) and your female is a Ct crown tail. Her fins look like she has already taken a beating either from him or herself from fun biting. That can be cause by stress, which is caused by the presence of the male. Your fish are absolutely gorgeous! The male does look a bit clamped (he will relax once you separate them) and don't be fooled I have two girls who seem sweet but kill everything you put with them! You could get a knitter keeper from petc for cheap and it's like a gallon. Comes with a lid and they are easier to heat. Bettas are addicting ! So glad you love your fishies they are cute ! Best of luck !!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #9 
Voulcan

Appreciate the comments and help guys

Although my Bettas both look very relaxed,
I will listen to you guys and seperate them when I get the chance
I keep my eyes open on them until I get another tank.

I have an idea and I need your insight on this -
Could my Bettas be kept together if I get a bigger size tank,
With lots of plants and places for them to hide in?
Would it provide natural territories and seperation for them?

R
Voulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No, sadly that doesn't work either.
Our betta have been bred for centuries to be extremely aggressive. They aren't like like wild betta anymore.. Their genes tell them to hunt and kill any other betta in the water. Most female betta are just as mean as males.
Most wild betta can live together since they are less aggressive to each other, but our "house betta" aren't like that anymore.
A group of females is possible in a 10+ gallon with lots of plants however. You need a group of 5 females, as it spreads out any aggression.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote