Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #11 
LionCalie

This is an open forum. You will get all kinds of opinions. Why would I be supportive of actions I do not support?

Please do not twist my intentions. I never said you should steal anything.

When I see awful conditions like you saw, and believe me I have, I ask to talk to the manager. Then I raise hell.... take pictures, video, and say I will be contacting corporate. I tell them that unless conditions improve, I will not longer shop at their store, neither will my friends or family.

9/10, in my experience, conditions will improve dramatically.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-03-2012 at 06:53 PM.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #12 
TurtleMan84

Well, I am not a free loader. I'm not going to raise hell and threaten a manager just so I can get a free fish. I paid for my fish. And as I said in my first post, I was going to have a conversation with a manager, probably over the phone, about improving the conditions and the treatment of the fish they sell.
TurtleMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #13 
kathstew

While you may have been trying to make a difference in those fishes lives, which is admirable, but you are not helping them in a good way.

My advice is to put these fish up for adoption on craigslist, and ask for people to adopt these fish, but first ask questions to ensure that you are giving them to PROPER homes.

Right now, although you tried to help it wasn't the best.

These fish are TROPICAL and NEED heaters.

Rescuing is taking an animal out of a situation WITHOUT encouraging it to occur again, as well as providing the care the pet needs.

Unfortunately, you have encouraged this to happen again, by paying for these fish. The best way to save fish is to stop paying for them. Yes, fish will die, but in the long run many MORE fish will be saved. Look at all the wal-marts that have stopped selling fish because no one was buying them anymore. You can not say you do not approve animal cruelty when you are in a way 1. encouraging it (even if indirectly) and 2. doing so yourself.

By keeping those fish in 1 gallon containers without heaters (if your air temps do not keep the water at a proper temperature), than you are being cruel in another way to those fish. Yes, they may have warm water, but they are also freezing cold.

If you can afford to, I would by a space heater and use that to up the air temps in the room you keep the fish in, or as I said before, put them up for adoption.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #14 
TurtleMan84

Putting them up for adoption would defeat the purpose of me having them in the first place. I wanted the fish. If I wanted people from craigslist to have a Betta fish, I would just post an ad saying, "Hey people, go get a Betta fish from Walmart".

"They may have warm water, but they are freezing cold"? That didn't make any sense, sorry.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #15 
LionCalie

[quote=TurtleMan84;1105135]Well, I am not a free loader. I'm not going to raise hell and threaten a manager just so I can get a free fish. I paid for my fish. And as I said in my first post, I was going to have a conversation with a manager, probably over the phone, about improving the conditions and the treatment of the fish they sell.[

You missed my point ENTIRELY. I didn't say I do all of that so they will give me a free fish... I do all of that so I do not support the cruelty by paying for abused fish and to EDUCATE the store employee's and managers that neglecting the fish is unacceptable.

Being a vegan or vegetarian has NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Okay, everybody, let's please stop arguing...
Peoples opinions are important, but you can't force your opinion onto others, so let's stop... The word "rescue" is sensitive around here so let's stop using it as well...
Honestly, let's just focus on getting the fish into better conditions.. 12 betta is a large number, lol. I'd start looking on craigslist, or freecycle (google it for your town), to find larger tanks.. 5 gallons+. This will give you the option to divide a tank, which means only 1 filter/heater per more fish. If you have some females they can share a 10 gallon+ tank turned into a sorority.
You did put them in a better life, but as a fish keeper you want it to be the best life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #17 
TurtleMan84

I did not say you were a free loader, I just said I am not one. I thought I came across as honest and friendly and caring in my original post, I did not expect to be verbally attacked by someone.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #18 
TurtleMan84

Well, I do have an empty 10 gallon tank that I had used before for other fish. But the fish kept dying, and the tank turned brown and green within a week from algae and looked disgusting, so I put the remaining fish in my turtle tank and broke down the 10 gallon. I had a filter and heater in that 10 gallon, but it didn't keep the fish alive.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #19 
LionCalie

I did not verbally attack you in any way. That is all I will say on that matter.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #20 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan84 View Post
Putting them up for adoption would defeat the purpose of me having them in the first place. I wanted the fish. If I wanted people from craigslist to have a Betta fish, I would just post an ad saying, "Hey people, go get a Betta fish from Walmart".

"They may have warm water, but they are freezing cold"? That didn't make any sense, sorry.

I'm guessing you are also a vegetarian or a vegan? Because if you eat meat, then you are encouraging more animals to be slaughtered so we can eat them, therefore, you contribute to animal cruelty. Don't be a hypocrite.
Ok, so if you want the fish, you should also take the responsibility. And that means providing clean water and heated water. Because they are tropical. I suggested putting them on craigslist to find them homes where they could get the proper care they need. You are not providing that right now. Right now, you should focus on the ones you can provide heaters and clean tanks for.

Sorry, I meant "They may have clean water, but they are freezing cold".

I am not a vegetation or a vegan, nor am I a hypocrite.
Meat I purchase is raised for the purpose of being used as food. They are not being raised for pets. I see nothing wrong with animals being raised for food; humans eat animal meat for a reason; we need the nutrition it provides. But I am not going argue about that.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. I provided you with 2 helpful suggestions, as well as valid reasons for those suggestions. In no way did I insult you, but you reply with aggression to myself as well as Lioncallie because we do not agree with you. You will not last long on forums if you become so personally offended by those who do not agree with you; that is what forums are for - discussion.

I'm not going to commend you for doing something that isn't worthy of praise, either.

Last edited by Romad; 06-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote