Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #21 
shadowpony

I have two Zoo Med mini heaters if you want them. Im not trying to sell them but they are extra's. Twice weekly water changes would also help. Congrats on the new fishies!
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #22 
TurtleMan84

Thank you for your suggestions.

But don't tell me I am contributing to animal cruelty.

An animal getting shot in the head and chopped up with an axe sounds much worse to me than someone having a fish without a heater in its tank. You are delusional if you think otherwise.
TurtleMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #23 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Okay, everybody, let's please stop arguing...
Peoples opinions are important, but you can't force your opinion onto others, so let's stop... The word "rescue" is sensitive around here so let's stop using it as well...
Honestly, let's just focus on getting the fish into better conditions.. 12 betta is a large number, lol. I'd start looking on craigslist, or freecycle (google it for your town), to find larger tanks.. 5 gallons+. This will give you the option to divide a tank, which means only 1 filter/heater per more fish. If you have some females they can share a 10 gallon+ tank turned into a sorority.
You did put them in a better life, but as a fish keeper you want it to be the best life.
Posted via Mobile Device
couldnt have said it better myself!

I don't think it's right to flame people for trying to get them in better conditions while working on saving for getting better tanks or heaters. You can find them in yard sales, goodwill, freecycle, and craigslist. The fish wont drop dead without a heater, no one has yet to ask what temp the room is that they're housed in. I live in south florida and my bathroom never drops below 74-76 ( its jungle hot down here LOL) and some of the tanks in my bathroom have no heaters, they stay at a constant temp because I do check my thermometers daily. I think before we scold people we should try to educate them and help them do it the best way they can. Personally I'm happy someone who actually cares took them rather than them dying on a shelf with no one to love them. If that makes me cruel, I'm sorry.

I hope we can actually be a little more positive because when I first joined I was scolded and almost wanted to return my fish because instead of helping most people yelled at me for "not knowing anything" and told me to return all my fish because I was going to kill them anyways.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #24 
TurtleMan84

Thank you Anita, I'm glad there are friendly supportive people like you on here. Olympia also had a good point. These are the kind of replies I expected on a fish forum. I'm disappointed and saddened that other people attack and scold any new member that comes along. I guess that makes them feel better about themselves. So be it.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #25 
Anitax3x

I just recommend that you try to get heaters, Its easiest if you look online for large tanks, I like divided tanks because it saves space and you can use one heater per more betta (like was previously stated) I found my luck on craigslist and also sometimes petco has the dollar per gallon sale, where you can get brand new big tanks cheap like a 40 gal =$40 and so on but the smallest would be a 10 gal. Adjustable heaters are best. I would scrub down that 10 gal you had, divide it 3/ or 4 ways, (i've done 4 you just have to keep up water changes and some people think its too small it gives each one about 1.5-2 gals ) and use your heater with maybe an air bubbler to circulate water if you don't want to buy a filter.

All suggestions that help. but for the long run if you don't want to rehome them,
(I've done that on here, the people are nice and your betta's will go to great homes I recommend it if you can't buy what you need for them) you should start looking/saving for necessary supplies to keep them happiest and healthiest

I think its more people get so fed up with seeing betta cruelty they try to stop it ASAP rather than actually wanting to attack you. Just comes off that way

I wish you luck and I hope your betta's do well!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #26 
MrVampire181

110% agree with LionCalie.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #27 
TurtleMan84

I do have an air bubbler for the 10 gallon tank. That can be used instead of a filter?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #28 
MrVampire181

An airstone doesnt contain the surface area for a useful biological filter.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #29 
Cargo

You could buy a 20 gallon tank and hood kit when you get some money. If you buy lots of dividers, they will all have about 1.8 gallons each.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #30 
TurtleMan84

I already have a 10 gallon. I don't have the space for a 20.

What filter should I use for the Bettas that won't have too much current and noise? A small Whisper?