Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #31 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Clean the 10 out really well.. Baking soda can get out old algae stains with persistence.
Any filter that has adjustable flow is a good choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #32 
Anitax3x

I use the fluval nano its built for 15 gallons, in my 10 gal. It has adjustable flow it works like a charm. If you don't have space for the tanks, and you don't want to get heaters you should try putting them up in the classifieds section for adoption. That would be in the fish's best interest
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #33 
TurtleMan84

Well, my plan was to set the 10 gallon back up with dividers, to hold 3 or 4 of the fish. I have a heater for it. And the tank is already clean. I was just curious about the best filter to use. I have space for all the gallon size tanks, and for the 10 gallon. Just don't have space for a 20. My concern with the larger tanks is the algae issue. I'm guessing the light caused the brown and green algae to grow and made the 10 gallon look really nasty. That's why I preferred smaller tanks without bright lights because algae doesn't grow in them.
TurtleMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #34 
Anitax3x

I don't know if that is true because my 10 gal has tons of algae due to my lights (I have ones made for my live plants) you could try keeping it away from a window. Also if you scrub it off, change the water and keep it out of the light. I have a 20 that has no algae at all, but I usually leave the light off anyways and my curtains usually stay closed ( otherwise my room gets to like 80-90 degrees! )
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #35 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gallon bowls are fine as long as the water changes are kept up with. You can always get kritter keepers or something later when you can afford it. Right now you just have to make do with what you have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #36 
TurtleMan84

Actually, I do have some of the fish in critter keepers. They are much nicer and more affordable than the little "tanks" and cubes that are made for Bettas, and provide more space :)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #37 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can put heaters in critter keepers. I have them in mine. I keep my fish in an upstairs room that stays pretty warm. I can't afford big fancy tanks, either and I'm not about to spend a whole lot of money that I don't have so that all 9 of my fish can have their own heated, filtered 10 gallon tank.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #38 
TurtleMan84

I agree. I want my fish to have a good home and life. I will do my best to take care of them and give them what they need.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure you will. We're here if you have anymore questions.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #40 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Gallon bowls are fine as long as the water changes are kept up with. You can always get kritter keepers or something later when you can afford it. Right now you just have to make do with what you have.
Thank you dramaqueen for saying this. Bias opinions get a little heated on here sometimes. It's like you and Sakura both told me when I got on here. YOU have to decide what is right by you and your fish. There is nothing wrong with getting kind hearted opinions but your opinion is ultimately going to be the one that matters. That whole 5 gallon minimum doesn't work for me either. I personally own one gallons without heaters too just like the OP. My fish are all active and heathy because I take care of my responsiblity and that is my decided opinion after looking into the options. Personaly I think the longevity of a fish is decided more by the care they recieve or the age they are when you buy them. We don't know how old they are when we buy them because as we all know, size is not an indicator of age. We also do not know what kind of care they recieve and what kind of food they get and how often. I have seen many people with experience on here get ahold of a fish and have it die in a couple of days in 5 gallon setups with heaters and cycled. They all say the same thing. "The fish was fine when I bought it... my water parimeters are fine... I don't know what happened." So I leave everyone with this thought, TO EACH HIS OWN. :)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote