Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #81 
Shirleythebetta

Turtleman, have you identified their tail types yet? I'm curious. I am a fan of the veiltales so I am assuming that is what yours is since they were bought at walmart. What's the most unique color you have seen on one so far?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #82 
Twilight Storm

I was one that asked for pictures.

My collection of bettas started out with a beautiful copper halfmoon doubletail. (He later turned into a tail biter and is now all over that.)
I have one crowntail now, 3 veiltails, a labeled halfmoon, but I think he's a delta... and a female (not sure of tail type) The baby is a bit young to tell for me but I think it's a veiltail. Not sure if it's male or female yet though. The baby betta from Petco was my last purchase.

My Walmart stopped selling Bettas or any live animals a long time ago. We have a grocery store/ super store, named Meijer that still sells live fish from tanks, and bettas in cups. I think they still might sell small animals like hamsters and budgies too. It's been a while since I was in there.

I can't wait to see the guys you got though. It's just kind of sad next week there will be a whole new batch of bettas to take the place of the ones you bought. Lets hope that the manager listens to you, and like someone else said, the employees in that department actually are willing to do water changes.

BTW- if you log in here using bettafish.com you have the option to make albums of your fish. (not sure if it is the same in the TFK login) When you do post pictures you should make an album. That way you can see how they've changed in your care down the road. They should change quite a bit from what they look like from the store.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #83 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
BTW- if you log in here using bettafish.com you have the option to make albums of your fish. (not sure if it is the same in the TFK login) When you do post pictures you should make an album. That way you can see how they've changed in your care down the road. They should change quite a bit from what they look like from the store.
Yes the login will work for both forums.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #84 
Shirleythebetta

yea I got quite the changer, patty. she did a total flip on me. I though she was going to be a red cambodian and turned into a big fat orange monster.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #85 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a white one that turned blue. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #86 
Shirleythebetta

Oh these betta/chameleons
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #87 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, he was white with blue spots and now he's almost solid blue except for a white spot on one side.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #88 
lelei

Aww..he finally told us..they are all Males..huh?? See, that's my prob too..too addicted to the Males of the fishy world..If they were females..then u could house em together..that's the tough part of being attracted to the males..:( But wanna see those pix..:) Side note..if you have probs with space..(tanks too long) you can opt for hexagon or cylindrical tanks, and obtain a few more and save space:) (just a thought)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #89 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan84 View Post
I decided recently to rescue 12 Betta's from my local walmart and petsmart. I was shocked at how terrible the Betta's are treated at walmart. They are all shoved way up under a dark shelf where no one can see them, and those little cups they come in were barely half full with water. I saw 2 dead Betta's, that had been dead at least 3 or 4 days, because the water looked like milk and the fish had started disintegrating. Really made me sad, and mad at the idiots who allow that to happen to the fish and never check on them. I took some of the Betta's to the sink and gave them more water. I am going to have a conversation with a manager about that soon.

Anyways, all of my 12 Betta's are in gallon sized bowls, tanks, and critter cages. They all have gravel and a small decoration or plant. A few of them have an LED light. But unfortunately, I don't have the funds to provide them with a heater or filter. But, I feel that I am giving them a much better life than they had in the pet store. They now have more water and swimming space and a plant or decoration to play in. Maybe one day I'll have the money to get bigger tanks with heaters and filters, but right now that is the best I can do for them.
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....and by the looks of it you dove in head first...laffs.....

As you are finding out...lot of opinion on proper Betta keeping based on personal opinion, experience, what a hobbyist had read, heard...etc.....as well as a few myths.....

In my many years in this hobby I have found that you have lots and lots of different ways you can successfully keep, spawn and rear fry of this species...It is finding what works best for you, your Bettas and what you have on hand.

IMO/E-the long fin males can be kept in 1gal containers long term provided that water quality and temp are maintained...... and with some of the long fin males this is the only way you can keep their long heavy fins intact-with some (not all) too much space can be stressful on them and this can cause neurotic behaviors, stress, fin damage...etc....which in turn can compromise immune response.

Water changes in 1gal unfiltered without live plants-twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-100% should maintain water quality.

Be sure and properly acclimate to both the temp and chemistry with 100% water changes by adding small amounts of the new tank water to the holding cup over 10-15min or to tolerance.

The sudden extreme temp and chemistry changes can be stressful.

The only chemical additive needed-a good dechlorinator that covers both chlorine and chloramines- Be sure and check dosage if you have both-some recommend double dose with chloramine.

You may or may not need a heater-your goal is to maintain water temp in the 76-80F range

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

I have found healthy Betta can tolerate the normal/gradual temp swings that often happen with day/night, lights on/off and the varied temps you normally get at different levels in the tank- up to 10 degree difference without any issues.

IMO/E-filtration is optional for this species-especially in smaller containers-sometimes the filter/water movement can cause fin damage.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best and if you have access to mosquito larva offer a few rinsed on occasion....

Look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures.....this is a great hobby to be apart of....Lot of different ways to properly keep them....just remember no matter what size container you use.....water changes, proper temp and good nutrition.....

And most important....
Enjoy........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #90 
TurtleMan84

Thanks OldLady, you sure did type a lot!

Someone asked what kind/color Bettas I got...

3 Crowntails(One Blue, One Red, One Aqua with red fins)
1 Plakat/Round Tail(White with red fins)
3 Half Moons(All varied Blue colors)
5 Regular Veil(One Red/Blue mix, 2 Dark Blue, One Orange, One white/pinkish)

I think that covers them all.
TurtleMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote