Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 
Cargo

Bought Some Goodies off Amazon :)

I had $35 spare, so I went on Amazon and bought some new goodies. This is all for my Fluval Flora tank which I'm getting in July for my birthday.

I got a Tetra Whisper 10 gallon air pump. I need this to power my next item. It was only $7.00 and had free shipping. This is a great deal considering this air pump is around $15 at PetSmart.

I also got an Elite sponge filter. I only use sponge filters because they will not get my fishes' tails caught or suck in shrimp. They are pretty efficient and cheap, I only paid $6. Otherwise, you would pay about $10 to $15 for any other filter.

I got some Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. My fish is going to be spoiled, hes only going to have the very best. This will insure great nutrition and long, happy life. I've heard how good Hikari food is, so I swapped out my Omega One flakes for some of this.

The last thing I got was an API Master Test Kit. This is essential for my betta tank and goldfish tank. This is my first test kit, and I really need this because my goldfishes' water has been unmonitored in nitrates. I've just been changing about 5 or 6 gallons out of their 29 gallon tank every 7 days.

I've bought these items to insure great life for my soon to be betta. The only thing I have to buy next is my Hydor Theo heater and a clip on light to have a nice planted tank. Also can someone tell me at how many nitrates I should do a water change?
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 
dbooknook

Good purchases!
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 
megaredize

ive always heard no more than 20 ppm of nitrates. but i have goldfish and bettas. my goldfish nitrates can get to that quickly since they are messy fish. so i have a lot of anubias to try to counter that. i have the master test kit too. My bettas tank is never that high in nitrates but hes alone in 5 gallons and they dont make much waste. I do weekly water changes regardless. usually like 30%. sometimes more because the 5 gallons tanks i have siphon out really quick lol.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
ive always heard no more than 20 ppm of nitrates. but i have goldfish and bettas. my goldfish nitrates can get to that quickly since they are messy fish. so i have a lot of anubias to try to counter that. i have the master test kit too. My bettas tank is never that high in nitrates but hes alone in 5 gallons and they dont make much waste. I do weekly water changes regardless. usually like 30%. sometimes more because the 5 gallons tanks i have siphon out really quick lol.
Yeah, when I first tested my goldfishes' water it was reading about 45ppm.. yikes.. over the course of 3 days, I changed about 18 gallons of the 30 gallon tank. I also got a gravel vacuum too. I was using airline before, and it took 15 minutes to take out 5 gallons. Now the gravel vacuum does that in 2 minutes. X_X
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote