Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 
mlasater

Pine coning?? Please help!

My fish MJ had a swollen abdomen yesterday so I did a Epsom salt soak and this morning it was totally gone! But he has starting to pine cone a little bit. I hope that I can reverse it because it is in the very early stages. I don't know what kind of treatment I should do. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before. I've been researching Dropsy, Swim Bladder issues, constipation, fugal infections, etc. I've gotten so many mixed reviews on medications and forms of treatment. I really need someone to let me know what to do before this gets worse!

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Morgan
mlasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Usually once pineconing sets in, it's the major sign of "something is shutting down". What happened? do you know? If it happened without a cause (over feeding, external infection, stringy poo, etc) it could've been bacterial or if he is new, he came with an internal problem.

You can TRY with medication, I didn't have luck when one of my females had organ damage, and I think Ghengis has a bacterial infection after being constipated... Maracyn and Maracyn 2 is a good combo, and epsom salt for the liquids in their tummy.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Usually once pineconing sets in, it's the major sign of "something is shutting down". What happened? do you know? If it happened without a cause (over feeding, external infection, stringy poo, etc) it could've been bacterial or if he is new, he came with an internal problem.

You can TRY with medication, I didn't have luck when one of my females had organ damage, and I think Ghengis has a bacterial infection after being constipated... Maracyn and Maracyn 2 is a good combo, and epsom salt for the liquids in their tummy.
I think I overfed him. But the thing is is that he doesn't act sick! He's swimming sound and flaring and acting pretty normal. He's sleeping a hit more than usual but he's old. He's a little over 3 years old. So I definitely want to continue treating him. I think he has a good chance of survival considering the swelling went away immediately and he's in good spirits. You recommend that I use Maracyn and Maracyn 2 add the same time? And Epsom salt? I don't want to do too much and I'm not sure what medication can go together safely.

Thanks
Morgan
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Trust me I've seen a betta who had severe pineconing, like he WAS a pinecone, and he flared for me.

Because he is 3, he is older. In that case overfeeding is very common, and just half what you feed the fella EPSOM SALT can be added to the medications, and yes maracyn and maracyn 2 can be used with it. Just dissolve the epsom salt of course, before adding, slowly increasing to 3 teaspoons per gallon.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #5 
mlasater

Quote:
Trust me I've seen a betta who had severe pineconing, like he WAS a pinecone, and he flared for me.

Because he is 3, he is older. In that case overfeeding is very common, and just half what you feed the fella EPSOM SALT can be added to the medications, and yes maracyn and maracyn 2 can be used with it. Just dissolve the epsom salt of course, before adding, slowly increasing to 3 teaspoons per gallon.
Thank you very much for your response! I have been reading that some people think it's a bad idea to leave the epsom salts in the tank, and you should just do 10-15 minute soaks once or twice a day. I've been soaking him and literally a couple hours after he soaks, the swelling is completely gone. This has happened twice so far. I think I might add it to his tank though to make sure the swelling goes away and stays away! I do not want it to come back a third time.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

You can do it for 10 days, preferably no more The reason it comes back, is because the treatment wasn't long enough. I have no idea what the soaks are good for except maybe for humans When the bloat is gone, do a couple days after to ensure it is COMPLETELY gone.

Over feeding causes SBD (swim bladder disorder) which is probably what happened.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 
mlasater

Quote:
You can do it for 10 days, preferably no more The reason it comes back, is because the treatment wasn't long enough. I have no idea what the soaks are good for except maybe for humans When the bloat is gone, do a couple days after to ensure it is COMPLETELY gone.

Over feeding causes SBD (swim bladder disorder) which is probably what happened.
Yeah I think so. Everyone keeps telling me it's Dropsy, but I rerally don't think it is. He does not act like he has organ failure. And after only 24 hours with Maracyn, Maracyn 2, and a bit of Epsom salt added to his tank, his pine coning has gone down and the swelling is very minimal. I think he'll be okay. I really don't think this is fatal. He's sleeping a lot in his little plant, but I think that's good. Sleep is good for healing
Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Can you give a picture, top view? Even blurry. Some bettas do "swell" when they are overfed, and their scales don't really stretch WITH them

BUT there was a steel blue fella in the PJ'S PETS in the city here, he had SEVERE dropsy! Like....pinecone fish. And he was flaring and show off for me...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #9 
mlasater

UPDATE:
I am so confused on what to do now. MJ seems to get a lot better one day and the next he's back to bad. Both the swelling and pine coning are fluctuating. Yesterday he had mild swelling and almost no pine coning and this morning he is swollen again and pine coning about the same as two days ago. Nothing has changed. He's been on Maracyn and Maracyn 2 for 2 days (today being his third) and I put Epsom salt in his tank (1 tsp per gallon) yesterday. I'm about to do a 50% water change just to keep things clean. He always seems to feel better when I clean the water. I'm not sure if I should add back in the about of medicine/Epsom salt for the 50% that I'm taking out.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Add back in the amount you take out. So you take out 50% of 3 teaspoons, you add in 1.5 teaspoons.

Dropsy is something that literally only 1 percent or less survive from. He may get better, or he may not. There was a blog I found that mentioned their goldie who fought dropsy 5 times but eventually he did die. The reason, is dropsy is from organ failure. When the organ is permanently damaged, the fish becomes more and more fragile.

Tags
dropsy, swollen