Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 
ZaleaRyuzaki

Question My Betta Eve is being strange

I have had my halfmoon male betta named Eve (Japanese male name) for about a week now. Just recently I have oftentimes found him near the bottom of the tank, hiding behind his heater or filter. Now he goes near his artficial plant (which is in a bit of a tight space) and goes straight down (like head first) down into the corner of his tank to this spot and goes until he hits his head off of the gravel. Then he turns to his side stays there for a few before moving again. Also in this same area he follows his reflection once again, in which he had stopped doing for a while. I also have watched him stop moving entirely. Not one fin will be moving on him, and he will sit (in that corner) for a long time like this until I move or something and scare him. I feed him three or two pieces of Aqueon Betta Food, I read that I'm supposed to feed him about this much, but I'm not sure if I'm wrong please let me know. Thanks for any help.
ZaleaRyuzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...we need some more info....and a pic if you can add one...

How big is the tank, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes, any tank mates, appetite, how often are you feeding, how did you first acclimate him to the tank and source water info-tap, well water...etc.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 
lelei

Sleeping in Odd Positions..

Sounds like he's sleeping..in an odd position..I was just watching sammy our betta, kind of "bob" in-between a plant..cuz he was like on a trampoline..it was soo cute..I just changed the ligghting..and it woke him up..now he's off and swimming..

but they do stop to rest, and hang out just about anywhere that's comfortable to them..and they will even sleep..one time I saw our Sammy kind of float he was resting on the gravel, and his body kind of went over to the side a lil..but he woke right up..and started looking for a new place to rest..lol..

I have even seen him do a face down position in a plant...so I wouldnt worry as long as you have everything else in place..clean water and a heater..themometer to check for temp..but that is somewhat normal..as long as you see him activley swimming as well..hope that helps..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 
lelei

Also to add.they try to squeeze thru everything..and you may have to stretch out a plant, open leaves, if the spaces too tight..I have to do that a lot....lol..they get frustrated if they cannot get thru!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 
ZaleaRyuzaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum...we need some more info....and a pic if you can add one...

How big is the tank, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes, any tank mates, appetite, how often are you feeding, how did you first acclimate him to the tank and source water info-tap, well water...etc.......
Um..the tanks size is pretty big... (I don't know exact) The water temp I try to keep above 70 he has a heater, filter, no live plants artificial, I change half of the water every week, he's a only fish, he eats whenever I feed him and looks for more after, I feed him once in the morning and once at night about three to four pellets. The water we used is tap, but we added the treatment thing to it to make it not hard anymore.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 
ZaleaRyuzaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Also to add.they try to squeeze thru everything..and you may have to stretch out a plant, open leaves, if the spaces too tight..I have to do that a lot....lol..they get frustrated if they cannot get thru!
Okay thanks for the advice! I'll move the plant for him and I think part of the problem was the filter. I had the tank filled a lot and I decided to remove a bit of water so the water from the filter wasn't creating such a bad current on him. I watched him soon after writing this, swimming as fast as he could to try to move away from the current. Also he goes in the corners head first when he hears a loud noise. I have to be sure not to have my music on my stereo on anymore, I think it's too loud for him also. Right now he's rubbing up against the plant...hopefully he's not stuck!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 
lelei

I am not sure if music..loud music bothers them, they react to vibrations..tho.. but we have music on a lot..and I haven't noticed it bothering him..(good to bring up in a topic tho) Actually wehn my daughter plays WII Dance..our Sammy watches her..even when she's stomping on the floor, he just has his nose to the glass watching..it's too much..I swear he wants us to get in with him, or he wants to jump out and join..:)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 
Danibunkins

You're going to want to bring the water temp up to around 78-80 or so, I believe.
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 
ZackyBear

My betta used to do that. I didn't believe he would do it but he did! xD He's just looking for a cave or something to sleep in~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 
ZaleaRyuzaki

Thanks guys. His reflection was stressing him out too. That spot he'd go to, was because of the glare of my window. Until I can figure something out to stop it, I put a sketch book up so he doesn't stress himself out. I now have the heater running for a while, bringing up the temp and the music, is kept down to a lower volume and he no longer goes to that corner. Today he did what I would call a little 'dance' for me to give him food. He kept going to the front of the glass and would 'shake' the back part of his body and swim like a goof until I gave him food. Now my last question is how much should I really be feeding him? I've read so many different things on how much to feed them, I got confused. ;)

Tags
problem