Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 
sassysharay

something that has me irritated...

The past few days at work, I have been bursting with excitement and showing EVERYONE pictures of my new betta.

I was telling one of my friends how much I like having Darwin around and how much fun he is to watch and she said "Man, you really need to get a cat or something..."

I kind of laughed it off when she said it, but now that I have been thinking about it, it really bothers me. What she was implying (which I obviously missed when she was saying it) is that fish pale in comparison to cats and dogs. I know that I can't pull Darwin out of his tank and give him a hug, but he makes me just as happy as any cat or dog that I have ever had.

Even though I know I am going to sound like an angsty teenager, I just don't think she understands me. Haha.
sassysharay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep. People think fish are lame. My friend accidentally killed her betta (I'm going to teach her about betta now..) and my other friend responded "at least it wasn't like a hamster."
Really? Really?! Killing any animal is wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #3 
Ramble

Yep. Fish are the non-pets. So every time someone whips out a pic of their dog or cat, I say, "wait until you see Leonidas!" Then I pull out my cell phone and show them my big orange veiltail. I get a few comments, but folks are learning a lot about the joys of bettas...or learning not to ask me to coo over their dog pics...
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 
SarahandOscar

Haha ok good i'm not the only one gushing about my boys!! My bf's sister and i have become obsessed with fish keeping in the last 2 months and have spent every weekend at pet stores within a 2 hour radius checking everything out. I"ll admit we have 2 dogs and every pet store visit prior to 2 months ago was for them and i remember looking around at everything else but thinking the fish were lame and walked straight past. One day i spent 2 minutes watching the Betta's and it was just love lol. My bf thinks they're a ridiculous excuse for a pet (he loves HUGE DOGS) but yesterday i caught him watching and smiling at one of my boys who was moved out of his hospital tank and into his first forever home haha. THEN he admitted he checks on them every afternoon when he gets home from work and that they come out and say hello to him hehehe i think i have a convert on my hands and have been resisting the urge to say "i told you so".
To each their own, but i guarantee i'll never judge a persons pet preference ever again.
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I must admit I am a fool for all animal pictures in general. I have dogs birds and fish.

Finding dog mom/dads and cat mom/dads are a lot easier then finding fish or bird mom/dads. :)

Birds are just a little more likely then fish to get a response from most people. Which is kind of sad but I live in an area where a lot of neighbors love their pets and treat them like their children because they don't have children. (and don't want to have any.)

It's why you're here on the forum though because all of us betta nuts love our fish. :D We all can't get enough of pictures either, so you can satisfy your "look at my beautiful baby" cravings by showing them to us! ;)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #6 
ZubinBetta

Many try to exclude one or another type of animal from the realm of human love. I remember watching a TV program titled "Fatal Attractions," in which they profiled a woman who kept venomous snakes that she routinely took out of their enclosures and handled. Apparently she thought they loved her and that she was "special." She was wrong. (You can see where this is heading....) I have felt love for my fishies over the years, and it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for me to believe that they have loved me, too. (Though having a can of betta pellets with me never hurt!) Maybe where there are only good consequences from loving/being loved by a fish, it makes sense to "act as though" this is true, and therefore it is! It happens, after all, that people are mistaken about the extent to which other people love them, or do not, so why exclude fishies from the ambit of human affection?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #7 
Shadyr

I suspect the fish issue is that many kinds of fish are really not very interactive or inquisitive. Many will hide when the big human comes to look at them. But that just isn't the case with bettas! They seem to have a very active curiosity and interest in what's going on outside their tanks, moreso than almost every other breed in the pet store.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A betta in a cold .5 gallon bowl, however, is NOT fun, curious, or interactive. Therefore as most people will see, boring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote