Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 
NarcissusBetta

water change almost kills my betta every time!

Please help! I have a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter and a heater that keeps the temp around 76. I change his water 100% once a week. The tank has three live plants and black sand. I rinse the plants in cool water every change and rinse out the sand, then refill the tank with tap water, treat it with water conditioner and then let it sit until the temp is the same as the water my fish is being held in. When the temp is the same, I put my fish back in his tank( few hours). The problem is that EVERY TIME I gonthrough this process, and put him back in his tank, he acts like he is dying for two days, then like clockwork is acting normal again on the third day after being in his fresh water. He continues acting healthy until the next water change a few days later. I don't know what is wrong! I love this fish and want to do everything right for him, please help me with your experiences and suggestions! I didn't think I had to cycle a 2.5 gallon tank if I changed the water at least once a week. Is that true? Also, I have not let the water age before putting it in the tank, it comes straight from the tap into the tank, BUT then it sits in the tank for usually half the day before I put my betta in. Is it wrong the way I am doing it? Please be kind, I am doing my best, this is my first fish and I am learning. By the way, when I say he is acting like he is dying, what I mean is that he lays at the bottom of the tank on his side or hangs out at the top of the tank vertically with his fins clamped. Then after two days, swims around with a bunch of energy again and unclamps his gorgeous fins.
NarcissusBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 
JKfish

Is your heater working properly? 76 is a bit low... 78 to 80 is best.. Do you acclimatize him before putting him back in? What plants do you have?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 
shadowpony

You rinse live plants? I dont think that's very good for them. Maybe you could cycle it and do two 50% water changes a week. It sounds like stress, and cold.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

First, Welcome to the forum.....

What kind of plants and are they doing well...

When doing 100% water changes you need to acclimate him to both the temp and chemistry of the water by adding small amounts of the new tank water in his holding cup over 10-15min-then release in his tank...provided that he tolerated the acclimation process.....

Depending on the type of plants-you may not need to make any 100% water changes-especially if they are rooted in the substrate-If the plants are true aquatic and actively growing....50% 1-2 times a week is all you would need to make to maintain water quality.......

Not all plants are created equal...some are better than other at keeping the water fish safe....

Can you post a pic.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
NarcissusBetta

Thank you for the responses. I just took a pic about 5 minutes ago. He is swimming around acting normal again. I was not acclimating him by putting new water in the holding bowl. Maybe that, like you said was the problem. It seems like he goes into shock after the water changes and then snaps out of it.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 
NarcissusBetta

He is in my kitchen here so I could keep a better eye on him while he was acting strange. I will upload a pic of where I normally keep him. Please let me know if that seems too bright for him. I keep him there usually though so the plants can get some light during the day
Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 
JKfish

Hmmm... the plant on the right is not a water plant at all... I would remove it. Could you get a better picture of the one in the middle?

What is your substrate, just black gravel? What brand is your heater, is it a pad or an adjustable submersible?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #8 
NarcissusBetta

Name:  DSC_0923.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  45.6 KBThank you for your help. The attatched pic is normally where I keep him. Is it too bright for Narcissus? I keep him there so that his plants get some light during the day. Are these plants okay to use? The one on the left has since been removed and replaced by the plant you see that I just posted on the water change post.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #9 
NarcissusBetta

The heater is Hydor mini 7.5 watt sub pad. It is under the black sand. I bought all the plants at Petco as they were advertised as aquatic plants? The middle one has turned from green to more purplish, but is still alive. The bushy plant on the left has had leaves start to die over time so I removed it and replaced it with what you see in the first pic. The stalky plants have done the best it seems, and have been in there since the beginning.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 
NarcissusBetta

The temp in my bedroom is around 70 and that heater only brings it up to 76 no matter where the tank seem to go in the house. Should I get a different kind? Also, I would like to add a tiny bit of aquarium salt after every water change, but have heard this kills the plants. Is that true?

Tags
water change