Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

Is running okay for a dog with arthritis?

He is only 2 and still very active! He has arthritis, and I want to know if running will make it worse. he is also overweight, but quite muscular too.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2 
JKfish

I'd start with long walks, it is easier on the joints. If you walk him every day for a good long time, it'll actually help improve his joints and burn off some of his weight.i'd also suggest getting either joint supplements for dogs, or fish oil ( not cod liver oil) that has no soy in it. One or the other will also help with arthritis.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 
starrlamia

if you have a place he can swim, it would be very good exercise and easier on the joints, it will help keep up muscle mass as well.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
N03113

http://dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html This may have some very helpful information.

Weight issues in dogs: Excersize may not be enough... not sure if you have your dog on a new diet for the arthritis like the Hills Prescription Diet, but you may want to consider going raw or home made - or half and half... Specifically, I would go to a grain free food if you're not comfortable with raw and portion control. This will cut out the mass amounts of carbs that are used as fillers in your average dog food and with the walks or swimming, you'll find his natural weight will come into view - he'll shed those pounds and less pressure on his joints.

Work with your vet on this though... be wary of weight loss dog foods, they have the potential to cause glycemic issues in dogs.

For the GLUCOSAMINE and FISH OIL - http://www.zukes.com/woof/hip-action.html

Zukes products are 100% grain free. We feed the cat version of this to our cats for prevention purposes but you may find it a great delivery system for your pup.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

@jkfish is swimming in the lake for 10 mins/day okay? Or should it be more? He likes the lake alot, but there are geese and i cant take him then, but if they are not there then he gets bored after 10 mins
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
starrlamia

start with 5 or 10 minutes sessions and work up from there, i would find some sort of game to play with him to make it more interesting. Definately either switch to a premium kibble or start feeding less of the kibble you are using now. Being overweight is extremely hard on the joints without arthritis.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

I am starting with less human food (so hard!) and for treats, it is tiny macaroni bits instead of large hot dog chunks. (he LOVES the macarion!)

I am just a kid, remember, and I keep the walks intresting by going different places, his favorites are always included, we always stop at at least ONE. He likes the pond, soccer field, park, and train station, and on REALLY lucky (and cool) days, we walk 2 miles to the shopping center and we go to the pet store!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
starrlamia

i didnt know you were a kid :P
Rather then giving him macaroni for treats, use his kibble for all training you do. Make him work for every single piece of kibble he gets every meal, whether its through training tricks or using work to eat toys (like kongs, tug a jugs etc). It will help tire his brain out :)

I would probably stick to handwalking an arthritic dog, running puts a lot of pressure on joints. The glucosamine and fish oil suppliments should help a ton and if you buy human grade suppliments you will spend less money (just keep an eye on the dosage and ingredients)

What kind of dog is it?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

Labrador (is moms labradoodle but he doesnt show it. U want a pic? That is actually an old pic, ill upload a recent one soon.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

We are going to vets wednesday, i can give u weight soon