Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #1 
Atena

Guppy update 06/03/12

Guppy got a 100% water change yesterday.

New filter cartage (supposed to replace it every 2 weeks according to filter directions, I am going to do it ones a month since the flow is baffled so much).

I also made a new nicer looking baffle. I found that using a black foam instead of the white one works nicely. then I tied some fake plants to the rubber bands that are holding the baffle in to mask it.

It looks great, i will put some new photos in soon.

The black foam also blends better with my black gravel on the outflow tube as well.

Actually, I should post a whole thread on my fitler modifications so others who have vail tails can have more options. I am feeling pretty brilliant about it. Ha ha!

Anyway, i also did a thorough gravel vac. and washed the walls and everything in his tank.

I floated him in the old water and adjusted him to the new tank water over 2 hours. Today he is doing fine. So he is back in 100% of the High PH water with new conditioner (Seachem Prime) to filter out the ammonia.

I did start adding the new water half at a time, two times a day, three days ago to help him adjust slowly.

Later today, I am going to give the frozen brine shrimp another try.

Last edited by Atena; 06-03-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 
Atena

Pictures of tank modification...

From the top:
The filter is now wrapped in black foam, then surrounded by fake plants. The output tube was cut shorter so it more easily hides lower down on the opposite corner in the gravel.

Two new spheres added, the larger one in the back of the tank and the smaller one in the front.

Guppy does not find them amusing so they will come out during the next water change.

Front view:

The gravel was adjusted to hide the heater more, it is higher in the front and lower in the back. This also allows room under the filter for guppy to swim and hide. He likes the plants that are attached around the foam and the flow has been baffled enough to slow the water flow to almost still.

In this view you can also see the height difference in the gravel, as the sphere in the back which is larger, is actually barely visible in the front of the tank, while the heater is left open to do it's thing while still invisible.

On the left hand side you can see the cute bottle I got to hold his food. Still looking for a fancy crystal or ceramic box for the flakes.

on the right, barely visible is the java fern that is still in quarantine. If guppy does well in this water for a week, then I will put the java fern in where the spheres are. Hopefully he will find them more amusing, and they should help with the water quality.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This is a betta forum, you will get little to no response here.
Try logging on to Tropicalfishkeeping.com - it's the "mother" of bettafish.com. You can use the same name in both forums. TFK has a livebearer section where you will get more response on guppies or any other livebearers - about care, breeding, etc.

You can also go to bettafish from the TFK forum
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #4 
SarahandOscar

Um Guppy is the name of your Betta isn't it? I always get confused reading your posts ?
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #5 
Atena

Yes it is. :)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #6 
Atena

I will have to start calling him "Guppy the betta" so people don't get confused.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

awww...It so cute :). And you are really good and creative mama, you should be proud of yourself. You even have those cute bottles to hold the food. How cute.
I love the tank. You did wonderful job with filter. Sorry about my question i always paranoid to do something wrong, is black foam safe for aquarium right? I am pretty sure it is just want other people give advice...

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 
Shadyr

Glad he's doing ok! The tank looks good, and he looks at ease hanging out in that front picture.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
Atena

It is black aquarium foam I found at petsmart.

Thanks for the compliments. I can't tell you glad I am to finally have a happy fishie. :)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
Um Guppy is the name of your Betta isn't it? I always get confused reading your posts ?
@Atena: Oops. Big goofball. Sorry about that
Someone asked about mollies and I just assumed that you were talking about guppies.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote