Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 
TurtleMan84

Bubble Nest?

Why do Bettas make a Bubble Nest? What is the purpose of it? A few of my guys have made bubble nests. I never knew they did this until recently.
TurtleMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan84 View Post
Why do Bettas make a Bubble Nest? What is the purpose of it? A few of my guys have made bubble nests. I never knew they did this until recently.
It's a nest for potential breeding as far as i'm aware, They are territorial fish so they build nests. maybe check the breeding thread for pics or do a search for other threads about nests =)
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
TurtleMan84

Why would they make a breeding nest if they're in a tank by themselves with no female around? Is it just an instinct?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 
SarahandOscar

As far as i know yes, or again the territorial thing so they build it to guard it or to claim that spot in the tank as their own, a few of my boys have made tiny ones, i'm only 2 months into Betta keeping so that's just from what i've read so far. Females can make them too, There was one thread that a female made the nest and laid unfertilised eggs in it which is rare apparently.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 
TurtleMan84

One of my dudes made a huge bubble nest today, it looks like he spent all day making it while i was work. It wasn't there when I woke up. Too bad he will have to make it again after I clean his tank.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 
SarahandOscar

Yeah that happens to everyone.. it's awesome to watch them build though. like watching a spider spin its web.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 
Bethydan

Only one of my guys builds them, but there's one everyday. He works on them in the wee hours of the morning. I just happened to wake up and look over to see him working away. As soon as he sees me moving around in bed, he starts his ritual morning dance and forgets the nest, so this was a rare opportunity for naturalistic observation.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #8 
SarahandOscar

That's what i love about it, natural behaviour... plus its so cute watching something so small and grumpy looking create beautiful things..
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #9 
Laki

My boys only make them sometimes. It means they're happy, though, I have seen bubble nests in the cups in the store which is probably a territory thing being in such proximity to the other cups. The last nest I saw was the other day around the little floating cup of snails :) I dismantled it though, (I hate doing that) because the snails needed a water change.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #10 
Bethydan

I think Mags sees water changes as a challenge. The newer nest is always a tiny bit bigger than the last one. They keep growing. Like if he builds one large enough, it won't get washed away.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote