Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #11 
betta lover1507

I agree with Karebear, some people don't do that, unlike you, you played it smart
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #12 
Karebear13

I wish I would have started like that but its all good now :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #13 
MsChris

thank you!

Aww, thanks everyone! I really enjoy him. He's such a funny little guy. I'm glad I found this site/forum because it helped me get things ready for him before I got him and everyone has been very helpful and supportive!
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #14 
MsChris

Crumpet is dead

Crumpet is dead. I just wrote a post about it in the Memorial section. I'm really very upset about it. I can't stop crying. I really loved him already.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #15 
Shadyr

When you get a new fish, really, in spite of the best care you give, sometimes it happens. Might have been sick already. You just can't tell what kind of care they got prior to coming home with you Most places will give a refund or new fish for up to a month if they do have problems after going home.

I had a perfectly healthy and hearty looking red veil die after three days...you are SO not alone in what happened. I'd imagine most of us on this forum have experienced it at least once.

If you decide to try again (hopefully you will!), you might keep the new fish in a smaller quarantine tank for a week and maybe gradually introduce water from your cycled 10 gallon to it? That way you can make sure he's healthy and won't cause problems for anything else in the big tank, and you can give him a longer acclimitization time.

I'm sorry for your loss - these dancing fish really hook you fast.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #16 
mjoy79

I'm soooo sorry. :( I hope you don't give up on keeping bettas. I feel so sad though because you just got him and were so excited. I was just about to comment that he looked like a crowntail to me until I saw your last post. :(
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #17 
MsChris

Thank you.

Yes, I will definitely try again. I went to my local fish store today to talk to the aquarium expert about what happened. It is his opinion that Crumpet likely jumped out and perhaps my cat ate him. :( I really, really hope that is not what happened. I guess I'll never know for sure. I had never seen him jump and the holes next to the filter are very very tiny, but I guess it is possible. I will cover them before I get another fish, just in case.

He recommended that I take all of the water out, get rid of the Tahitian moon sand (I had chosen that because I want pygmy cory catfish and had read sand is good for them, but he said it can break the filter and is harder to keep clean) and replace it with stones, replace the filter cartridge, and basically start over with QuickStart. He said to bring him water samples from the tank and my faucet next week and he will test them at the store for me. (They can test much more than my API test kit can.)

So far the Amano shrimp and my mystery snail are still doing very well.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #18 
mellyjelly321

I'm so sorry that he didn't make it! He was super cute and it looked like you did a good job with the tank. These things happen, we've all been there. Don't give up on keeping Betta's, just keep learning as much as possible, and it will all work out!
mellyjelly321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #19 
lyolya

wait wait, why does the guy think the sand will break your filter? i have sand and my filter intake is like an inch above (if not less) and i never had any sand get sucked in.

u have a 10 gal, you could def bring in a small group of corys in there. unless you saw the sand get sucked in urself when u plug it in - id leave the sand; i think the guy was just trying to sell you more stuff.

and sand is NOT harder to clean. i've had both.

y replace filter cartridge?.. and start over? y? replacing filter cartridge won't ruin your cycle. i'm not getting your salesman at all
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #20 
MsChris

He told me that if even a few grains of sand got in my filter it could break the propeller and that I was lucky that hadn't happened yet. I don't think he was just trying to sell stuff because the rocks were only a few dollars and I was going to buy new sand or new rocks anyway and the sand would have been more expensive. I hadn't seen any sand get sucked in, but I decided to try the rocks just in case.

I wanted to start over because I don't know for sure what happened to Crumpet. If he was sick or something I didn't want to just stick a new fish in there without either figuring out what happened (which I can't really do for sure) or cleaning/replacing stuff. Right now I'm waiting for the tank to cycle again before I put anything in there but when it is ready I'd like to put in a group of pygmy corys. Maybe I didn't NEED to start over but I am very new to aquariums and I feel like there is so much conflicting advice and information out there between books, the internet, friends, fish store employees (not Petco and Petsmart...this guy isn't even a salesman. He's just employed to care for the tanks and the fish). I'm not saying he is necessarily right or that his way is the only way. I just...I wanted to be on the safe side. I'm trying so hard to do everything right and no matter what I do at least 50% of people seem to disagree! All of his tanks are beautiful and clean. I've never seen a dead fish in any of them. I've never seen sick-looking fish in them. The water I've taken my shrimp and snail home in from there tested perfectly. I guess I just made the decision to kind of take his advice because I need to pick someone to get steady advice from because I was getting a bit overwhelmed with all the different advice. I guess we'll see how it goes. It's frustrating waiting for it to cycle again but I really, really want to give a new fish the best home possible.