Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #21 
lyolya

so how r u gonna put corys in with rocks instead of sand? its not even gravel, the food is gonna just slide through the cracks. and u won't see them displaying their natural behavior either. and cleaning will be hard too in my opinion unless those are boulders lol

as far as cycling tank over, i guess its up to u, but you gotta get used to the idea that u can't possibly cycle ur tank every time a fish dies.

it's really nice btw that ur caring and researching things, and trying to provide ur fish the best environment :)
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #22 
MsChris

I know! I'm not sure about the Corys. I'd originally gotten sand because I'd read it was best for them. I wouldn't want to put them in with a substrate that wasnt ideal for them. I haven't completely decided what I'll do yet or what I'll end up putting in the tank. Thanks for pointing that out about the Cory behavior, though. I appreciate it and it's something I've been thinking about.

Haha. No, I definitely have no plans to cycle the tank each time a fish dies. I'm just starting out, though, so I wanted to at least start out on a good foot! Sigh. We'll see. :)

Thank you! I'm trying very hard, at least.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #23 
Tikibirds

I'm sorry he didn't last long :( It is very possible he was sick when you got him. A lot of them are because most places keep them in cold, unheated cups and seldom change the water. That can wear down their immunity.

I do have to ask - did you use water conditioner?

I am kinda skeptical about this fish expert of yours - Many people use sand in their tanks, especially on here. I'm sure if it was bad for filters, I would of seen many posts about it by now. I also have sand in my 10G and my filter is fine. Sometimes the impallers get jammed due to the amount of debris in the tank but they should be easy to clean or replace - depending on the filter model. With a gravel sipon, I find sand is easier to clean because the poop and food lay on the top of the sand instead of falling between the gravel.

you really do not have to replace the sand or decor - most people use vinager to disinfect their fish stuff. Some also use a very mild bleach solution. Personally, I use scalding hot water. NO SOAP
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #24 
MsChris

Thank you.

Yes, I did use water conditioner. Thanks for thinking of that, though.

Yeah, I am skeptical about the sand, too. I really want corys and everything I read says that they do best in sand and show their natural behaviors and play in it and everything. I don't want to get them and not have them able to display their natural behaviors and have fun playing in the sand. Maybe I should put sand back in? I don't want to keep changing things but if I'm going to go back to sand now is the time, I think, with no fish in there. Ugh. I'm so frustrated!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #25 
lyolya

what filter model do you have? i'll look it up n try to see where your guy was coming from.

u know what u could do? what if you put the sand back in, and put a few larger rocks on top of the sand around the area of the filter intake?
orrrrrr, even easier, you could just create a little dip and have more distance between filter and sand.

but honestly none of those should be necessary, but if it makes u feel better then y not. after a few months u'll see that nothing is getting ruined and just forget about the whole ordeal lol

yeh corys filter sand through their gills, it's really fun to watch :) and by doing that they also sift the sand for u. i have to manually stir it up once in a while (not that it's a big deal anyways lol)

it's up to u if u wanna change it.. yet again lol.. ur betta won't care much if it's sand or rocks. but in my view it really will be pain in the you-know-what to clean it up in a 10gal as you can't take it out completely every week like with the really small tanks.
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #26 
MsChris

I updated the memorial thread but wanted to update here, too.

I finally found Crumpet. It just kept bothering me that I didn't know what happened. I had broken apart the rock formation from the tank but I had only broken it in half. I broke it into many small pieces and found his little body in there. I'm heartbroken. Now I feel like it's definitely my fault. I'm the one who put the rock formation in there. I put something in his environment that wasn't safe for him. It was made for aquariums and it truly didn't seem like something he could get stuck in but he was so young and so small and I guess he swam in and couldn't find his way out...or maybe he was sick and went in there to die. I guess I'm glad I know for sure where he went. I will never ever put something like that rock formation in a tank again. I'm so sad for him and I feel incredibly guilty. Anyway, so many people on this site have been so kind and supportive and I wanted to let you know what happened to him.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #27 
MsChris

Thank you to all of you who helped me feel better about Crumpet. I thought you might like to know that I haven't given up on bettas. I have a new betta named Cleo. I posted pics of her in the pics section.