Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

just a question nothing important

am just wondering if it is possible to breed a rosetail without many deformities, there probably isn't but i want to be sure. i wish puddles wasn't a rosetail, he has amazing colors and all. so yeah anything would be appreciated
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 
Luimeril

not really... as far as i know. i know many breeders don't mess with RTs at all, because of all the issues, but that's about all i know.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you want to work with rose tails, make your own. I do not suggest breeding RT you bought from other breeders because then you won't know what their siblings were like. If you breed a good healthy (physically) RT that carries deformities, you will have deformities for generations.

If you created your own RT, you'd know if any of the siblings had deformities and can determine if it's worth continuing (I suggest stop if any siblings were deformed). NEVER breed a RT to another RT or to a sibling. Always out breed to a 4 ray HM...... they're like DT, only worse. You have to constantly breed out to less rays to avoid deformities.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

Not worth it IMO.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

If you are willing to try it, go for it. But you may have to cull a lot of fish....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

so sorry i forgot this thread, i understand Mr.v but remember am just beginning please :) and your like all the way up there with great pairs and all :P
Indjo, how about if i do want to breed, and i DO have a 4 rayed female but she is a HMPK, will it still be bad? and thanks for the info :D
also this is just a question thats why i put "nothing important"
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Indjo posted good info but the amount of effort to actually create a line of low deformity rose tails would be extensive. Once you introduce rose you are going to have a tough time getting it out.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are beautiful though! Not as uptight looking as HMs. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Indjo posted good info but the amount of effort to actually create a line of low deformity rose tails would be extensive. Once you introduce rose you are going to have a tough time getting it out.
True :P
but thanks for the help guys! :D well i have my goals setted and hopefully they go swell :) thanks for the info
i need to cram my head again
Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Keep this in mind before you start working on a rose line. I suggest that you don't mix your rose line to your other lines. If (heaven forbids) you fail and do get deformities, you can cull everything but still have your non rose line. ...... culling is a must when working with rose.

PK and HM rose are the same - you need to work carefully. 4 ray should work. Treat them like any other PK x HM mixes. Determine which direction you want to go - long finned or short. Since you are working with a bought rose, you should be prepared to cull and not re-breed the non deformed...... some deformities will show after 6 months of age. Don't count your chickens before fry reach that age.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote