Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

Questions

I am so curious I just figured I'd try doing a spawn without any research!

.... JUST KIDDING! bahahah GOTCHYA!

Okay, now that I had my fun I have real questions because I see so many people starting spawn logs and they either know SO MUCH or NOTHING
I want to be apart of the people who researched so much they do very very well, so I'll probably be doing this next summer if I get the chance.

1) What kind of fins/finspread do you look for in halfmoons ? Obviously I love that big spread like everyone else. What is "desireable" I know excessive branching leads to them being rose tails which no one wants to breed.

2) What makes a "good pair" do they both have to be similar, or should one compliment or balance the other's shortcomings?

3) What should a new breeder breed for?

4) So far I know that bettas from pet stores are a no no simply because "they are a hodge podge of genes" but there are a few "gems". Would you recommend then finding quality stock on AB/ or from new breeders. Where do you find the most luck.

5) What have you found helps you make the process better? little secrets you have learned, How many hours in a day you would say you give to each spawn?

6) Do you recommend Halfmoons for a first time? or would you say another type would be I guess more noob friendly? LOL

7) To breed I believe you need spawn tanks, growout tanks, jars, cultures of foods, and to condition the pair. Do you guys have recommendations on what you find works best for your spawns? Where do you find your most reliable sources of supplies?

Any extra advice, would be greatly appreciated. Again no haste because I was just kidding about jumping in head first, I'm just gathering people's knowledge by experience because I find the experience of others saves a TON of heartache.

I wrote alot lol I applaud all who read and answer the whole thing! Thanks guys
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I am so curious I just figured I'd try doing a spawn without any research!

.... JUST KIDDING! bahahah GOTCHYA!

Okay, now that I had my fun I have real questions because I see so many people starting spawn logs and they either know SO MUCH or NOTHING
I want to be apart of the people who researched so much they do very very well, so I'll probably be doing this next summer if I get the chance.

1) What kind of fins/finspread do you look for in halfmoons ? Obviously I love that big spread like everyone else. What is "desireable" I know excessive branching leads to them being rose tails which no one wants to breed.

2) What makes a "good pair" do they both have to be similar, or should one compliment or balance the other's shortcomings?

4) So far I know that bettas from pet stores are a no no simply because "they are a hodge podge of genes" but there are a few "gems". Would you recommend then finding quality stock on AB/ or from new breeders. Where do you find the most luck.

5) What have you found helps you make the process better? little secrets you have learned, How many hours in a day you would say you give to each spawn?

6) Do you recommend Halfmoons for a first time? or would you say another type would be I guess more noob friendly? LOL

7) To breed I believe you need spawn tanks, growout tanks, jars, cultures of foods, and to condition the pair. Do you guys have recommendations on what you find works best for your spawns? Where do you find your most reliable sources of supplies?

Any extra advice, would be greatly appreciated. Again no haste because I was just kidding about jumping in head first, I'm just gathering people's knowledge by experience because I find the experience of others saves a TON of heartache.

I wrote alot lol I applaud all who read and answer the whole thing! Thanks guys
1. Shorter fins. I do not like overly long finned fish. Second I look for straight edges and not too much branching but both should have 4 at least.

2. The fish should make up the faults and, IMO, be similar. Breeding a blue to a red is a no-no for me. So example, my super red HMPK male is a spoon head. The female, a sibling, is a very nice female with a great top line. She compliments him very well.

3. Something basic. Just rearing some decent fish with maybe a few goals for such a spawn.

4. An IBC breeder will sell you infinitely better fish, cheaper, than aquabid.

5. Indian almond leaf, clean water, and leaving them alone.

6. Halfmoons... a love hate relationship. Personally I would start with HMPKs just because they're fun, active, and a heck of a lot easier to raise and keep VS long finned and demanding HMs.

7. Walmart and Aquabid xD A couple of clear plastic tubs and mason jars go a long way. I love glass tanks but tubs work just as well.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #3 
Anitax3x

THANK YOU. Yeah I love myself a HMPK they are so spunky! hmm IBC breeders, Googling that ! I'm sure I could find some in my area. I see alot of that almond leaf that people use as a spawn inducing agent.

so the spawning tank is best to be 10 gallons so I've read, and what of the growout tank? how large is that supposed to be?

Aquabid sells your option of best food? Hmm interesting. I guess I'm so busy oooing and ahhhing at the bettas I neglected the rest of the site! haha!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #4 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:

It really depends on your "Mission Profile", hobbiest, IBC Show?

Do you want to get a mix? Or are you wanting to breed for a particular trait? If you want to be more sure of what you will get, then breeding siblings from known background would be about the surest way to get what you are looking for.

What do you want to breed for?

Then again it depends on what your plans are... Buying from IBC show auctions would probably be your best bet, or contacting the breeders that have the fish you like...

As much as it takes.

No type are easier or harder than the other one.... What type do you want?

Wally World, Amazon, Ebay.

Learn to take care of fish first. If you have no aquarium experience, then you will not be ready for any problems that pop up.... You can't really just decide one day to become a fish breeder with out being an aquariest first.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #5 
Anitax3x

Thank you Jeff

I would like to Breed halfmoons, possibly OVER halfmoons, I enjoy the big fins and I do like the Dragon scale variety alot. I read that the true dragon is a silver/white body with different color fins. I just want to breed a great line of quality bettas. I have read on here that most people prefer the progeny of "good genes" So I was thinking of (this is about a year from now mind you) buying 2 pairs from an IBC breeder, of the same spawn. Conditioning them for about 4 weeks (I read no less than 2 weeks) and Trying my luck. I have been keeping fish for about a year now, and I have learned alot, but still have much to learn. I have been going through and researching because I think it would be a good hobby to have as I am in college but I do not work. (yes you could say mommy and daddy help pay for everything but that is to an extent I have tons of scholarships and a loan as well)

Anyways, I have been finding out more and more about my fish and how to keep them as well. I find it relaxing even though it is hard work.

I read medication should also be on hand after spawning for the male and female, what types do you all recommend?

Thanks you guys, I know I sound like I have no idea and its because I have no idea. I just want to start gathering information now. And when I feel like I have the resources and knowledge I'll then move forward. Thanks so much for all of your input I appreciate it!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #6 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
I read medication should also be on hand after spawning for the male and female, what types do you all recommend?

What would you be medicating them for? Are they sick? Parasites?

I have not medicated (other than indian almond leaf) any of my fish so far, as they have no disease.

Jeff.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #7 
BeckyFish97

I thnk what anita meant was what do you use to repair any damage to their fins after spawning. Personally I find lots of clean water does the trick, but if it is paticularly severe then I prefer to use aquarium salt as opposed to medications!Good luck!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Betta is not a salt water fish, why add salt if there is nothing wrong? A pinch of salt in the water to adjust hardness does no harm, but to medicate?

Not for my fish!

IAL on the other hand lowers the PH and helps their slime coat. Better as a preventitave. Salt as a medication is ment to kill parasites like velvet, which is fine if you see velvet, but why weaken the Betta immune system trying to treat something they don't yet have? Kinda like taking chemotherapy when you smoke a cigarette...

Sorry but I'm kinda naturopathic...

Jeff.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #9 
Anitax3x

ohhh Okay, I was just reading it on betta talk.com that some use meds to treat the ripped fins. But I have yet to use any meds on my fish, I use lots of clean, warm water to treat tattered fins the most I use is epsom salt for constipation and aq salt at the moment for inflamed gills. I get what you are saying, personally because I'm studying to be a doctor, I like the no meds until absolutely necessary path as well because just random doses of antibiotics with no reason behind it is how we have MRSA.

So for me, I guess it would be good to know where to buy meds just in case, but they aren't truthfully necessary unless illness presents itself.

What foods would be best for conditioning the soon to be parents? I know live foods but I'm not entirely sure what. And I read that sometimes live foods cause problems such as illness and swim bladder?

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

I actually never had disease issues when I used salt so I will be using it more now.

IAL is good after spawning. Nitrofuracin and Metronidazole are good to have on hand just in case.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote