Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Perfect QT containers/conditions

So my breeders are on their way and I want to make their 10 days in QT as nice and relaxing as possible. I have 1 gallon jars that will sit in a heated/circulated water bath. Each jar will have either anacharis or java fern as these are what I have on hand and already QT'd. Betta Spa is coming with one group so that will be added. I also have nitrofuracin green that I'll proactively treat with. Each fish will receive a 25% daily water change(per the nitrofuracin green directions) with water that is made up the day before. The water will be siphoned in and out so that I won't have to handle the fish at all. There will be enough aged water so that I'll only use 50% of the water each day but 50% will be added back daily. The aged water will be heated to the same temp as the QT box. The fish will dine on Betta Pro and frozen bloodworms.
I was considering putting a terra cotta pot in each jar to offer a hiding spot. I don't want it to roll around so I was going to dremel then sand an entrance into the side of the pot so it can sit on it's top and be more stable.

Am I missing anything?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I have not gotten any fish from overseas yet, but a slow drip acclimation to your water is beneficial from many threads I have read on breeders and hobbyists purchasing overseas. - That and supplying the fish a dim environment when you open the box, to adjust to the light.

I am fairly sure you already are planning on doing this since you have all the other stuff set up, but I thought I would add the information since people may reference this thread when purchasing their fish.

Question:
Is medicating the water generally recommended when importing fish?
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

You know, I had read about opening the box in dim light but forgot all about it. It has been added to the list. Thanks! I had only recently heard of medicating QT fish proactively but everything I have read about NFG has me thinking it's a good safeguard.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
Twilight Storm

:) You're welcome. Also thank you for the information on nitrofuracin green, I am planning on researching that medication more in a few minutes. I'm not sure I have come across the name of it before.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote