Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
MissFutureVet

Blind betta?

How can you tell if a betta is blind, or partially blind. I am seriously starting to believe one of my bettas are blind in his left eye.
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 
Shadyr

After an episode of flicking brought on I believe by a rotting plant in his tank (frowns at Petsmart people who were happy to assure me it was a water plant, and at self who didn't go look it up before putting it in the tank) I'm pretty sure one of mine is blind or at least vision impaired in one eye. His eyes look different. The bad eye is almost completely black, where the other one looks normal. If it were a human eye, I'd say the iris is completely opened.

He doesn't notice food put on the bad side, and he is probably only about 50/50 when striking at food on his good side, whereas he seemed pretty accurate before the flicking.

It doesn't slow him down at all though!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
Luimeril

the eye is usually clouded over, either white, or in the case of dragon scales, whatever color the scales are.

what makes you think he's blind?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

I had a girl blind in one eye, she didnt respond on that side, but she responded on the other (if only a little) but thye get along even in hostile sororities.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #5 
blacktip

My male betta Kraken is partially blind in one eye. When I look into his left eye, it is almost completely clouded over. He has trouble finding food and often doesn't notice me at his tank because he is left eye is facing me. Feeding him is a challenge because he misses his food but he's still very active.
blacktip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 
MissFutureVet

I've always thought he may be vision impaired in one eye. If he swims with his left eye towards the outside of the tank, he doesn't see my finger, but once he turns around to the other side, he follows my finger perfectly. And sometimes he sees his food, and sometimes he doesnt. Its like he has to swim around his food so he can see it in his good eye. His eyes are also two different colors; one is red and the other is black. I cant check to see if its cloudy because he moves around too much, and usually he only has his good eye facing towards me.
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

I suspect he is blind in one
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote