Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 
Cargo

5 Gallon Tank Journal & Log

Hello. I've had my 5 gallon bowfront tank for about a month. Its current inhabitant is an african dwarf frog.

The first betta I had in there didn't eat in three days. I came home to find it with its tail caught in the Marina i25 internal filter. The fish died. I returned the filter, and bought a Top Fin 10 Power Filter.

My second betta ate reguarly, and he was a very pretty crowntail. I was happy to see him eating his Omega One flakes. I came home to find this one with its tail caught in the Top Fin 10 Power Filter. The fish died. I returned the Top Fin 10 power filter and bought some activated carbon and aquarium silicone.

I got a piece of 3" PVC pipe and a cap. I really only needed 1" pipe because the 3" pipe takes up like 3" of the 10" length of the tank, so he doesn't have much room. I put a sponge in, and some activated carbon. I siliconed the cap on, drilled a hole for the airline tubing, and drilled some bubble release holes at the top. So right now, I have a homemade, oversized sponge filter.

I have an Elite single sponge filter coming in the mail. I bought it off Amazon for $6 and it should be a lot smaller than my current filter so my frog has some roaming space.

The frog is mainly in there until I get the sponge filter, and until the nitrogen cycle is complete. I just got my API test kit in the mail today, and tested my water. I had about 2ppm ammonia which is pretty high, so I did about a 10% change right now and I'm doing a 25% change tomorrow. That should bring the ammonia down a bit. My logs for today were:

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012:
Ammonia - 2ppm
Ammonia (after 10% change) - 1.75ppm
Nitrite - 0.15ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - about 7.4. Should I be concerned? I don't know about pH.

Last edited by Cargo; 06-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #2 
Aus

Quote:
I came home to find it with its tail caught in the Marina i25 internal filter. The fish died. I returned the filter, and bought a Top Fin 10 Power Filter.

My second betta ate reguarly, and he was a very pretty crowntail. I was happy to see him eating his Omega One flakes. I came home to find this one with its tail caught in the Top Fin 10 Power Filter.
Omigosh.. what rotten luck! I hope you have better betta experiences in future. I'm looking forward to reading your tank journal - I've not yet deliberately cycled a tank, so these threads are a great future reference.

Are you cycling the 5 gallon with the frog in? The ph level is fine for bettas - they've been known to tolerate quite high levels, up to 8, if they're adapted to it over time. Not sure about frogs, though, I know next to nothing about that species.

Are you planning on another betta, once the cycle's complete? If so, is there a specific kind you'd be looking for?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Omigosh.. what rotten luck! I hope you have better betta experiences in future. I'm looking forward to reading your tank journal - I've not yet deliberately cycled a tank, so these threads are a great future reference.

Are you cycling the 5 gallon with the frog in? The ph level is fine for bettas - they've been known to tolerate quite high levels, up to 8, if they're adapted to it over time. Not sure about frogs, though, I know next to nothing about that species.

Are you planning on another betta, once the cycle's complete? If so, is there a specific kind you'd be looking for?
Not sure.. if I do get a betta, it will be a crowntail. I was going to get one more ADF because I hear they like being in groups.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 
Cargo

New sponge filter came in the mail yesterday. Its the Hagen Elite single sponge filter. It is pretty big, maybe too big for a 5 gallon, but it would work better in a 10 gallon. It still works though, and the frog has a bit more room now. The frog has recently been trying to escape the tank. It doesn't have a hood, so I have to keep the water level about 1.5 inches from the top otherwise he will escape. I found him on the counter the other night, and put him back in the tank. He is fine now. Since then I drained the water level about 0.5 inches. I'm confident he can't escape now.

Saturday, June 9th, 2012:
Ammonia - 1ppm
Nitrite - 0.15ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 7.4
Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

:o careful with the frog. They can dry up and die within an hour of being out of water.
Also, frogs are a lot more sensitive to toxins than fish are. 1ppm of ammonia will cause permanent damage to any aquatic animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
:o careful with the frog. They can dry up and die within an hour of being out of water.
Also, frogs are a lot more sensitive to toxins than fish are. 1ppm of ammonia will cause permanent damage to any aquatic animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Working on lowering ammonia. Gonna change about 30% of the water tomorrow.