Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
Cargo

When Will my Java Fern Grow?

I've had a java fern in my low light goldfish tank for about five months. I'm waiting for a baby plant to grow so I can put it in my soon to be betta tank. The fern has grown in size, I can notice more leaves coming off it and such. On the end of one of the leaves, theres this brown thing.. not sure what it is, but its growing off the leaf. It is shaped like a "v" and is growing outward.

Any ideas?
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #2 
sparkyjoe

My Java Ferns all have baby plants. They seem to start as a raised, brown bump/dot on the back of a leaf. From that brown dot will eventually grow brown, fuzzy looking roots. Finally tiny little leaves will grow. I haven't bothered to remove any of the baby plants but I probably will when I start up my next tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #3 
Aus

Yup, those are roots. You have a happy java fern. :)

Wat til the babies have a few leaves each. Then clip off the leaf with the babies on it and tie it to a piece of wood with some cotton. The cotton will rot away in time. Java fern likes growing on other things, not in substrate, and it won't take long for the babies to attach themselves. Or you can leave them floating.. I prefer wisteria for floating,though as java looks kind of messy after a while.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Java fern is a rather slow-growing plant. And like all plants, they will grow even slower in soft water. If you have soft water and low light, you aren't going to see much growth on it.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 
Cargo

Awesome. I noticed I have several brown fuzzy pieces growing off in different directions. Will they all grow into java ferns? If so, I'm going to have 4/5. :D
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

I have several java ferns in the process of "reproducing" I'll post a picture when I get home. They do take FOREVER to grow but they do look nice.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I have several java ferns in the process of "reproducing" I'll post a picture when I get home. They do take FOREVER to grow but they do look nice.
Awesome. I'm probably going to keep two or three for myself and give away the other one or two away on here.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

As you can see they are growing on the back of the already established Java fern and that they are little versions of the big plant. This is roughly 1 months growth.

I can get better quality pictures but right now it is night time and I don't want to disturb my fish by shining light towards them.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 
Cargo

Awesome.. seems my plants are growing. I do have basically the same brown fuzzy roots coming off the ends of my leaves. Can't wait to have some more plants!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 
Twilight Storm

welcome to the forum btw cargo.

If you grow the babies you get into sizable small plants, another option is to see if your local pet store will take them in trade for credit off supplies at their store. :)

Some stores will do this others won't you just need to ask when you have plants ready that you wish to get rid of. It's a win/win situation in most cases.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote