Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 
Sivan

Really, Crusoe? REALLY?

So after 4 days of Crusoe being sick, he finally healed up and was more than ready to get into his 5 gallon tank from his medical. He would barely sit still in his cup when I was acclimating him and eagerly wanted to explore. I thought this would be the end of our troubles.

This morning I notice he managed to shred his tail.

I don't think he is a tail biter. He loves to explore and has a huge hiding place he likes to lurk in. I interact with him regularly and he is playful with everything. However, all of decorations pass the panty-hose test and are not in the least bit rough, except this one plant that is attached to his hiding spot. Even that is not too rough; its made of soft plastic and he really likes to hide behind it. Its the only thing I can think of that could have snagged his tail but he goes through it hundreds of times a day and has had no problem until now.

I have put some aquarium salt into the tank to prevent infection. Not a lot, just a little bit of salt. My main concern to stopping it from getting worse. I know he does not have fin rot, since there is no black lining and he is acting generally healthy since he has recovered.

I will monitor him closely and make sure he isn't secretly biting his tail or shredding it on something. How long does it generally take to heal up? He doesn't have extensive damage but... I never had this problem before and don't know what to expect.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 
Sivan

Why, Crusoe, WHY?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 
ZackyBear

It will take a few days to heal on it's own, but that doesn't look like tail biting to me o.o it looks like too clean of a rip...(When tail biting bettas usually loose chunks of their tails xD)

Something in his tank might be getting caught.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
Sivan

I may have to take out the offending plastic plant...but I am not sure if it is the one. Hm. I can try removing his log entirely and replacing it with a ceramic barrel for hiding. He does love his log though because of all the silk plants sprouting off it that he can swim through.

Out of curiosity, if it is fin rot (which I doubt, highly) how long does it take to spread? I only know of betta diseases in theory and by definition but never had sick betta fish before. I guess its a good and bad thing but I do want to know and experience so I can better care for my fish. He has a little tiny brown dot on one of the shredded ends of the tail so it makes me wonder.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #5 
ollief9

I think finrot can spread quite quickly if it isn't treated.. but usually with finrot the tips of the fins turn red (which I can only assume is blood).
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 
Sivan

He has no change in coloration on his tail. I pretty sure he shred it somehow. He definitely does not tail nip.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #7 
Atena

What a beautiful fishie. I had noticed that my betta Guppy would get pricked by plants that had passed the test as well. You really have to check them at all angles. The one I thought he would love the most was the biggest offender and it was a soft silk feather plant. You never know with these guys.

I would recheck the tank and make sure all edges are soft. it could be a tiny little thing or defect in one of the plants.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8 
ZackyBear

Yes, silk plants are better than plastic ;p Bettas LOVE to try to sit inside plants or swim through them~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 
xShainax

All my fake plants passed the pantyhose test but still, Taz bit his tail and managed to split it wide open some how
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 
Sivan

Yeah, his favorite plants are the two large silk plants that sprout on the sides of the log. However, at the entrance and exit of the log are small plastic plants. One is better than the other, though, and I think the little pointy one is at fault. I think I'll have to break it off to remove it though, which is upsetting because the decoration is really nice and he likes to lurk behind it menacingly.

I've left it in for now and his tail seems just like it was yesterday, nothing worse. I will try and find good silk plants for him and maybe a new hiding place. I will get him a floating betta log but want him to have a hiding spot at the bottom of his tank too, so I will find something to replace the log more than likely. The closest replacement I found is by a brand I will not support, AquaCulture by Walmart, because of the terrible betta-killing products they produce.