Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 
WDW Donna

Algae in tank

My daughter's betta tank (2.5gal) has been in her room for the past 3 years. We have changed nothing and her first betta lived in there for 2years, her current betta for 1year. I just did a 100% clean for the second time in a couple of months because it is getting covered in algae. The sides of the tank and all accessories.
What could be causing this all of a sudden? Everything about her room and the tank is the same. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of algae and can you post a pic......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 
WDW Donna

I never thought of taking a picture! It was greenish brown and covered the plants (fake) and the inside of the tank.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In 2.5gal tank-filter or unfiltered...been setup for 1-2 years and receiving 100% water change every couple of months....any other water changes? No live plants...is the tank getting any direct sunlight and type of lights, age of bulbs, how long are the light on/off.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #5 
WDW Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In 2.5gal tank-filter or unfiltered...been setup for 1-2 years and receiving 100% water change every couple of months....any other water changes? No live plants...is the tank getting any direct sunlight and type of lights, age of bulbs, how long are the light on/off.
This tank has been set up for almost a year, no other water changes, there is direct afternoon sunlight into the room if the blind is left open, the light in the tank is only on for a while at dusk until my daughter goes to bed at 9 regular lightbulb that comes in the Aquean 2.5 tank.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 
SweetNightmare

Any tank left that long without a water change is going to grow algae because bacteria builds up. You need to change the water at least once a week, if not doing a second, partial change halfway through the week. I'm surprised no one else has said so. Naturally planted tanks can get away with very few water changes because fish waste fertilizes the live plants, but there is no reason to go that long between changes when you don't have live plants. Plus, when water is still(unfiltered) it lets algae grow even more easily. Bettas benefit from still water, but you must keep that stagnant water clean.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

That would be my guess too....between the limited water changes, direct sunlight...too short or too long photoperiod.....

In the 2.5gal filtered.....twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate, viewing walls, decoration cleaning
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month

In 2.5gal without a filter....twice weekly water changes....1-50% water only and 1-100% to include viewing wall cleaning, decoration...etc.....

Its normal and expected to have some algae in a container of water that has both lights and nutrients, however, since this is a closed system it needs manual removal on occasion with a water change....
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 
RainbowSocks

You could always get a snail... I hear nerites are nice? (In addition to water changes--in case your algae proves to be stubborn in that regard.)
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #9 
SweetNightmare

Snails put off huge bioloads though; she would have to stay on top of the water changes.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #10 
WDW Donna

I will try all of the suggestions. It is just weird that I have not had a trouble with algae for three years with a tank in that exact spot and all of a sudden I do.
thanks.