Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 
iElBeau

Smile I don't know what to get!

So I'm getting a 10 gallon for my betta and want to get him some friends - I'm thinking tetras perhaps? But honestly, I don't know. Is four tetras too few to have together?

I want to get 4 fish of the same species. I know I could do more, but honestly, I want to keep the bioload small, so I'm acting on the "goldfish rule" of two gallons per inch of fish approximately. Pretty much, I just want a few extra fish, not a whole tank full. (Yeah I read the sticky about bioload and rules etc. I'm just giving a kind of parameter of what I'm looking for thanks).

Suggestions? And if anyone has information about their suggestions regarding bioload, food, etc. and/or pictures of their successful tanks with these fish, please feel free to let me know! Thanks :)
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 
xShainax

Get a snail or something. Maybe a few ghost shrimp
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

If you only want 4 fish, don't get tetra. They are schooling fish and will be very nippy if kept in groups of less than 6. Even having just 6 can cause problems. The more you can fit the better. If you just want four fish, get four female guppies. Be sure to catch any fry they drop so it won't go over your desired stocking level. You could also get a small school of corydoras. Four can work, but more would be better. I believe the benefits the corydoras would get from having more conspecifics around would outweigh the costs of a larger bioload. But before we suggest exact species, we're going to need to your local water parameters like GH, KH, and pH.

Another idea is to divide your tank and put two bettas in it. It will have a very low bioload and you won't have to worry about which your fish your betta will get along with.

And honestly, the "goldfish rule" doesn't work. A goldfish tank stocked with 2 inches of fish per gallon would be grossly overstocked. For this case, you can actually work with the 1 inch per gallon rule because you are dealing with inch-long fish. This means you could probably have about 7 fish in the tank (10 gal tanks don't actually hold 10 gallons).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #4 
iElBeau

Haha. If guppies are gonna have fry, they're out of the question! Are there any other fish you can think of? :/ Or is there a way to tell the difference between male/female guppies of any sort? And are "fancy guppies" bad to stick with bettas because of their bright colours and slightly larger fins?

And I don't know the water parameters as of yet because I'm getting the 10G on saturday, and from there intending to cycle it, though I'm unsure of whether I'll do a fish less or fish in cycle :/ cause its hassles to get into town to buy fish later.

I figured 4 would probably be too few... :( I wish! It would be exactly what I want.

I don't want 7 though... that's a more than what I want. So 6 of whatever tops. Any more suggestions?

I also don't like shrimp or snails... though I might get one snail for algae eating... but I still don't want it haha.

Honest, I haven't had a fish tank in years, other than my betta which I got 6 months ago, so I'm sorry if my questions seem sorta noobish.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
xShainax

Get a school of cories
Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 
iElBeau

I just googled pictures of them... do they always have that weird moustache thing goin on? :/ I don't think I like cories :$ No offence! aha.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #7 
iElBeau

What about Danios? They look ok... (I'm so picky! aha)
Plus with their stripes they might look nice... I'm planning to do a sort of "animal theme" in the tank.. I saw a giraffe print background in the "post pics of your tanks" thread that got me thinking, because I love animal print. So with a piece of driftwood or roots or a tree house and some plants and white substrate (sand vs gravel I haven't decided yet)...

EDIT: Plecos are algae eaters too aren't they? I don't particularly like them either, I think they're ugly lol, but I think I used to have one when I used to have a tank...

Sorry if I seem really set on an aesthetic girly looking fish! aha :P I want to give them chick names so Beau looks like a pimp ;D haha jk. But I do want more "cute" fish.

EDIT again: Maybe it was an otocinculus... I guess I'll have to get an algae eater of some sort though. I'll just pick based on who looks the most "animal" printed I suppose lol.

last EDIT: Uhh. So I actually just googled and this was the list I got that I'm googling pics of...

Zebra danios, Lemon tetras, platies, corydoras catfish, most other peaceful tetras, plecostomus, ottocinclus, cherry barbs, neon tetras, most catfish, african dwarf frogs, snails, and black kuhli loaches.

Corydoras are out. Tetras are out cause they're nippy and you're suggesting I get a min of 6 or more. (I don't want nippy fish aha... I just want a max of 6 fish other than Beau... maybe 6 + an algae eater... that's 8 fish though D: ugh idk...) ... &Loaches are out, they look like snakes.

Last edited by iElBeau; 06-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Danio need at least a 20 gal tank and groups of 6 or more (another schooling fish). There just aren't many fish that fit your wants. Almost all fish small enough to go in a tank of that size are schooling fish with requirements of 6 or more individuals.

Pleco are a terrible choice. They have a very heavy bioload considering their size. Your tank isn't large enough for one.

Personally, I think female guppies seem to fit what you want best. They are small enough to fit in your tank in the number that you want, and your betta shouldn't have an issue with them as they are more drab than the males. If you did go with fancy female guppies, there is a breed called cobra/leopard/snakeskin that kinda looks like animal print. The females will have tan bodies and colored tails. You could keep the females in a separate tank for a few months until you are sure they are done having babies. They can produce up to four clutches of young from one mating event (they store sperm).

This is a pretty good picture a fancy female guppy. This specific female is not pregnant as you can see from the lack of dark spot near her vent.

EDIT: You really have no reason for an algae eater. They tend to be fish with rather heavy bioloads, and while they do remove algae from the tank, they don't actually make it cleaner. They will really make it dirtier because they are adding a lot of ammonia to the bioload. If you want a little help with algae, then get a single, small snail.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 06-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 
xShainax

If you get them, betta's love fry
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 
iElBeau

Thank you ! You're so helpful KoiMaiden :)
My old tank was 20 gallons with gold fish and an algae eater and two snails but then when we moved it to my sisters place she somehow succeeded in killing everything and then sold the tank :( idk what she did.

And I guess guppies aren't too bad... The females all have the shorter fins right? and the males the large ones? And what's the bare minimum I could have in the tank?

&If I were to have simply 6 of whatever schooling fish, what would be the probable outcome? :/

EDIT: The guppies won't nip Beau will they? Just double checking.

Last edited by iElBeau; 06-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.