Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #11 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ha. . you are all right, I already have 2 extra filters and extra toys for the fish that I later decided I don't like. I can see how this hobby can go on forever because I change my mind about decor (I initially liked very contrasting decor to compliment the fish, plus I work in design with color . . then I decided no, I want to go the natural route instead . .) . .

As I learn more I wish I had gotten different tanks. . . I joked that instead of the "Portandia" phrase "Put a bird on it" I always say "You could put a fishtank on that!!!" . . . ugh everywhere I think I can put another one. :)

But I am big on making your own little ecosystem where nature helps you clean. I really want to make the most of using live plants, natural PH fixers, cultivating beneficial bacteria, and learning abut better filters, the most effective filters that won't be too annoying to my bettas.

I haven't cycled a tank yet, I learned when it was a bit too late, but is it my understanding that if I basically ran a tank fishless and maybe threw some fish food in there .. . let it run for a few weeks and tested the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, it would be all ready? I do have beenficial bacteria supplement that I use, and biological filter stones.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #12 
SageMyster

If you check out my blog (see siggy), you'll see how I do my water changes. It should be the most recent post. Generally around 50% biweekly water changes for both of my 2.5gals. Of course, if you have a tank larger than 3gal, my method doesn't work out so well. Make sure to use different supplies per tank. I unfortunately had a mishap recently with my Bettas in which they all contracted the same bacterial infection because I used the same cleaning kit on their tanks. Don't make this mistake!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #13 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ha .. Sagemyster, just reading your blog. I too got my bucket and some supplies at my dollar store. My dollar store kiddie bucket actually measures one gallon so I can finally use that for dosing aquarium salt and other things. :)

And I save the dirty fishwater to water my mom's plants, it is Arizona and we really can't waste water, so I try not to throw any down the drain.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #14 
SageMyster

The dollar store is definitely a winner as far as supplies go. (:
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #15 
Aus

I have two tanks, and Daughter has the third in her room.

Not so many tanks as many here.. but I have the water changes for my two fish down to under ten minutes for both, then a few mins acclimation time.

I have a bucket and vac siphon that belongs to Cleo's tank. And Demyx's little 1.5 hospital tank (which he's living in for now, chronic fin issues..) can be picked up and carried to the sink.

So: unplug filter & heaters before afternoon coffee time. Wait 10 mins to for heaters to cool, drink coffee. Cup both fish. Cover cups. Empty and refill Demyx's tank from the tap - water as close to 80F as possible, condition it. Grab pre-conditioned room temp water from containers under sink for Cleo's tank. Siphon Cleo's tank 25%, or 50% + gravel vac, depending on the day. Refill with preconditioned water. Feed shrimp (while Cleo's out..I can hide it from her..), replace/turn on all electrics. Acclimate fish. Refill preconditioned containers. Viola. It's so quick now I have the routine down pat, and never forget stuff because - it's routine. I think if I had four more tanks, they'd all get done the same days, and wouldn't take all that much longer. Being organised really helps!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #16 
Wolfie305

Yep, I use a gravel vac for my water changes. Should I have a vac for each tank though? I feel its a bit unnecessary, but necessary in case someone gets sick xD.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Yep, I use a gravel vac for my water changes. Should I have a vac for each tank though? I feel its a bit unnecessary, but necessary in case someone gets sick xD.
I just have two gravels vacs. One for the smaller tanks (and a 5 gal bucket) and a python for the larger tanks. It's not a bad idea to have an extra laying around in case you do get a really sick fish. Some diseases are extremely contagious.

As far as how I keep multiple bettas, it's a combination of things. I only use divided and cycled tanks, so I have one water change per tank weekly; I've set aside Sunday as fish tank cleaning day. Bubble filters save me money as I don't have to buy filter cartridges ever again. I use a ton of live plants to help with water quality as well as problems like fin-biting. The live plants also allow me to fudge tank cleanings when I need to (like around vacations). And I also have a lot of supplies built up from keeping fish for years. People know I'm "that fish girl" so they will just give me things like tanks.

If you can afford it, something like a betta barracks system would be best for keeping multiple fish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #18 
a123andpoof

Right now I only do water changes two times a week. I am working on making most of my tanks NPT so I will only have changes a couple times a year XD
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I just have two gravels vacs. One for the smaller tanks (and a 5 gal bucket) and a python for the larger tanks. It's not a bad idea to have an extra laying around in case you do get a really sick fish. Some diseases are extremely contagious.

As far as how I keep multiple bettas, it's a combination of things. I only use divided and cycled tanks, so I have one water change per tank weekly; I've set aside Sunday as fish tank cleaning day. Bubble filters save me money as I don't have to buy filter cartridges ever again. I use a ton of live plants to help with water quality as well as problems like fin-biting. The live plants also allow me to fudge tank cleanings when I need to (like around vacations). And I also have a lot of supplies built up from keeping fish for years. People know I'm "that fish girl" so they will just give me things like tanks.

If you can afford it, something like a betta barracks system would be best for keeping multiple fish.

I agree on that. I have a second one for "just in case".
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #20 
broncosfan84

Anyone have any problems using the tank dividers? I mean do the males gets stressed out from being able to see other all the time? I already have 6 males in separate tanks.....but you know what happens when you get bit by the betta bug? You just HAVE to find other ways to keep MORE bettas without buying more tanks because you have to have a place to sleep too. ROFL :)
broncosfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote