Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 
SarahParker

My daughter wants a Betta --

Ok- I know I am in the right place as I thought those poor fish in those little cups was bad bad bad news-- though I thought it was for a different reason....... When we first got married we went to the Vet's office and asked about kittens needing homes-- they put this little thing that would fit in a wine glass in our and and said "Take her or she dies tomorrow" (mom was brought in pregnant and that time counted" --- That is sort of how I feel about Bettas in those little cups-- Don't get me wrong I understand small cups for transportation and not wanting them to fight with fish in the main tanks-- but I digress......

My daughter wants to get a Betta, she is 8, turns 9 next month. I'd already decided that a tank bigger than 1 or 2 gallons was necessary and that I'd like to get one with a filter to lessen the water changes- not that I don't care- but the primary care will from my daughter. She is very gentle with her critters and fairly responsible- She often brings frogs and lizards in for dinner to study them and then is very careful to release them where she found them. She has raised lady bugs from a kit up through letting them go, mantises from a kit and then praying mantises from an egg sack we found in the yard... (I include this info so you know she is NOT like the little girl in finding Nemo).

So I am thinking 1 Betta, gravel, perhaps a small ornament or two, heater, filter--- 3 gal tank? 5 gal tank? Does a Betta need (or should it have) a cat fish? I've seen these "Betta Hammocks" in the fish store- a plastic leaf on a suction cup so that the Betta can rest-- are these needed or hype to get me to give the pet store my money? For the future- my daughter wants to know about 2 bettas - if you have 1M and 1F, do you need the divider? I do not know that this will happen, but she dreams of having 2 of about every animal she comes in contact with so they can have Babies-- :) She is very gentle with her critters and fairly responsible- She often brings frogs and lizards in for dinner to study them and then is very careful to release them where she found them. She has raised lady bugs from a kit up through letting them go, mantises from a kit and then praying mantises from an egg sack we found in the yard...

I've had tropicals (non Bettas), newts, frogs, gold fish and the like before- so I know many of the mechanics- but I also know that each species has things they need that are just a bit different from the rest.
SarahParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 
SarahParker

I've just been through the FAQ's and am learning about more about this fish :)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
tpocicat

I've never tried the betta hammock, but my bettas love their betta logs. It floats at the top and gives them a nice place to rest and also hide if they want to.
Other than that, welcome to the forum, you're in the right place.
Also, if she wants to breed them, that's a whole other thing. I'd recommend reading the stickies at the top of the breeding bettas section before doing anything you may regret.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 
SarahParker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I've never tried the betta hammock, but my bettas love their betta logs. It floats at the top and gives them a nice place to rest and also hide if they want to.
Other than that, welcome to the forum, you're in the right place.
Also, if she wants to breed them, that's a whole other thing. I'd recommend reading the stickies at the top of the breeding bettas section before doing anything you may regret.
Yes, I will do that in a few years-- I'm not ready for that step yet! lol She does LOVE her creatures of all kinds.
Thank you for the info on the Beta Log.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #5 
tpocicat

You're welcome. I was like your little girl when I was younger, so I can totally relate! Love animals of all kinds.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 
lelei

Hello, and welcome to the forum. My first betta, (in the Avi) was originally my daughter's too, (it just so happened that I fell in love with him) and now I declare him mine..(she's 10)lol..but really "ours" for the most part, you have everything you need, in your list, except for a thermometer, to check for proper temp in the tank, which should be 76-78degrees. A hidey hole, and some gravel, and Yes, the betta hammock, is a great addition to the tank, your betta might like it, might not, but it's surely worth a try:) If you are going to use a divider, you should go with a 6 gal, or 10 gal tank, for each fish to have ample swimming space.

We have a 3 gal, and it's been working since we upgraded from a med size critter keeper, which you can also use, if big enough, for the heater, filters, in smaller tanks can (from what I've been reading) cause damage to the fins, if the flow is too rough..if you perform reg wkly water changes, or for smaller tanks, two 50% water changes wkly..a filter may not be needed..(not an expert here) but that about covers it.:)
Also get a "Water conditioner" to add to the water, for your fishy:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #7 
SageMyster

Welcome to the forums! I have had very good experiences with the Betta hammocks. My boy Versace is resting in his right now. It might be cute for your daughter. :)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #8 
kfryman

If she wants two they will have to separated no matter what besides breeding. A 10 gallon would be best if she wants two of them, for one though, a 5 gallon will be the easiest. I would say get a glass tank, they are so much easier to clean, as in if any type of algae gets on the glass, of course if you do go glass I am sure you would help her clean it as they are heavy. A 10 gallon tank might be good for her because then she can have more fish with a single betta, like tetras or platies.

Filters are harder to use with bettas, especially long finned males, so I would baffle it. There is a thread on here how to do it. Heater is a must, the one thing most people blow off, get an adjustable heater, they sell really good ones on Amazon, there is the Elite heater 25 watt or Aqueon Pro heater 25 watts. They are so much cheaper on Amazon as well. With a heater a glass thermometer works the best and is most accurate. Seems like a lot but it will give you best results.

Food should be a quality pellet to prevent over feeding. I love my New Life Spectrum, or NLS. I got mine at Petco for around $8, it seems expensive, but with all the bettas I have, I haven't even gone through 1/4 of the container and I have be it for at least two or three months.

And to help with water changes, a one gallon bucket work really good. A water conditioner that is sworn by mist is Prime.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 
SarahParker

Thank you :) Our first step will be to check the fish supplies in the attic to see just how much we need to buy - I know I do not have the tank, but might get lucky with the heater, thermometer, filter, gravel, etc as I used to have a 5 gal nursery tank when I had Sword Tails :)
Next step is to find a good tank and get it going so that later in the summer we can get the fish:) I found a neat 6.6 gallon one meant for bookshelves- but it would fit nicely on the ledge built into her room :)
We are looking to set up two tanks, as My son wants a school of neon tetra's and a cat fish.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #10 
kfryman

The 6.6 gallon is actually perfect for bettas, it gives them a lot of length to swim around. It even provides bettas enough territory for non schooling but shoaling fish like most live bearers.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote