Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #11 
Aus

Quote:
3 gal tank? 5 gal tank?
Either would suffice for a single betta. 5 is better. 3 is adequate, my girl is thriving and happy as Larry in 3.5 gallons.

Quote:
Does a Betta need (or should it have) a cat fish?
No.. and it would add a LOT to the bioload of the tank, more ammonia, more water changes, need a bigger tank..and some grow really huge. ETA: Oh, and many don't like being the only catfish.. you need three or six to make them happy.. so much bigger tank needed.

Quote:
I've seen these "Betta Hammocks" in the fish store- a plastic leaf on a suction cup so that the Betta can rest-- are these needed or hype to get me to give the pet store my money?
I used those, my fish loved them. Until I got floating wisteria, which they love a whole heap more, and wisteria doesn't have a rusting wire running up the middle. The hammocks are nice, but need to replaced every few months. The plant, given a little light, will live for much longer. Plus it makes the water nicer.

Quote:
For the future- my daughter wants to know about 2 bettas - if you have 1M and 1F, do you need the divider? I do not know that this will happen, but she dreams of having 2 of about every animal she comes in contact with so they can have Babies-- :)
Yes- bettas will tear each other to shreds, male or female. Breeding them is a HUGE task, from what I can tell.. hundreds of jars all over the house, a special breeding tank and baby fish foods, special breeding conditions in the tank, emergency tank for if one rips the other's fins off.. and what do you do with the hundreds of babies?

I'd love to try breeding some day, but I'd want fish worth breeding and selling, and the time/money/energy/space to deal with all the extra fish. probably a bit much for a nine year old..

It's nice she's so kind to animals. I'm sure she'll take good care of her fishy friend. :)

Last edited by Aus; 06-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #12 
Shadyr

It sounds like the fish you and your daughter choose will have a good home!

That bookshelf case sure *does* look nice. I have one riding in my passenger seat that's going home to become the new digs of the fellow in my avatar...who looks nothing like that anymore (random aside, I bet your daughter would get a kick out of a marble betta, they change colors!) At any rate, it was hard to turn it down when it was on sale for the same price as the 2.5 gallon BettaBow.

You might pick up some Aquarium salt. Between our 4 bettas, AQ salt has so far cured/healed a bonked scale and a slight case of the fuzzies.

And as far as the plants go, I'd say try your hand with a few live ones if you have a good filtered sun locale for the tank, or a good bulb in the hood. My daughter's Betta loves his Water Wisteria. And mine loves his nameless green thing...never did figure out what exactly it is, but he likes it.

We love looking - post pictures of your aquarium and fish when you get to that point! Happy fish farming!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #13 
SarahParker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
That bookshelf case sure *does* look nice. I have one riding in my passenger seat that's going home to become the new digs of the fellow in my avatar...who looks nothing like that anymore (random aside, I bet your daughter would get a kick out of a marble betta, they change colors!) At any rate, it was hard to turn it down when it was on sale for the same price as the 2.5 gallon BettaBow.
OOOOOO Good price? Where? :)
SarahParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #14 
Shadyr

$35 at Petco, with their Frequent Shopper card (which I filled out the info for on the spot to get the price). It was on sale online at Petco for the same price the previous week, but full price in store, so just because it's cheaper (or not) online doesn't mean it will be the same price in the store.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #15 
Ramble

I have two of the bookshelf tanks right now and I love then. you need to baffle the filter though, or turn it down most of the way because the current is strong. I have mine naturally planted and my betta loves it. I'm going to divide the other one for two of my boys.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #16 
Cargo

Welcome to the forum. You can find out most of the necessary information in the sticky threads. As for breeding, just giving you a heads up you will need a few hundred dollars. You would need lots of jars to keep the bettas in, food like microworms and infusorsia to raise the fry, a few tanks, filters, heaters, etc..
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #17 
Enkil

Welcome!
I have a betta for my daughter as well. She is only 4 and so I take care of him, but she likes to sit and talk to him, ask how he is and if he's hungry.

Tank size would really depend and what tail type you get. If you/she decide on a plakat or halfmoon plakat, they need at least 5 gallons because they swim a lot. It's easier for them to move around since they have shorter fins.
I have a 3.5 gallon tank with a combtail in it. This is Hannibal's tank and he is my daughter's. I also have a 5 gallon (home to a plakat) along with 3 divided 10 gallons and a 10 gal sorority. A lot of things need to be considered when you think about tank size.

I do recommend filters. I use them and it makes water changes easier. If the tank is 5 gallons or more, you can cycle it which is also beneficial to the fish.

I do NOT recommend the betta hammocks. I have used them. They rust. I had this happen and then had to tear apart a tank to clean everything. If you want something for them to be able to rest on near the surface, I recommend live plants. I have floating anubias in almost all my tanks and my bettas love them. I also have floating water wisteria and java moss.
If you use fake plants, go with silk ones. These wont damage fins like the plastic ones will.

Don't forget to vary the betta's diet. I use New Life Spectrum betta pellets for all but one of mine (Oden gets fed differently because of vision problems). I buy both frozen and freeze dried foods as treats. They get the treats one or two times a week.

As someone else said, your daughter may enjoy a marble. They are very lovely and watching them as they change color can be quite amazing.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Hello, Sarah. We're glad you're here. Good advice given so far.

If you're referring to the Petco 6.6 gal tank, I think the filter goes in the back, making it difficult to actually fit on a bookshelf the way you'd think it should (all the way up against the wall).

Perhaps Ramble or another member can verify this.

Also, that tank is acrylic (plastic) and may not be as scratch-resistant as a 9-year old's tank should be.

If you're going to cycle that tank, which I'd recommend, I suggest buy a cheap 1.5 gal Kritter Keeper to hold your fish while you do a fishless cycle. Or hold off on buying your fish until the tank is cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #19 
Shadyr

Information overload, right?

You are doing it the right way though - learning before buying. I'm afraid I had the bettas before I read the site, and I wish I'd read more beforehand.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #20 
sunlight

Welcome!

My mother bought me first betta and then we got addicted. So now we have 4.
We do 50% and 100% water changes a week for 2.5 gall and for 5 gall we do 50 % weekly and 100% every 3 weeks.

If you don't want to do 100% water changes you can do 50% water changes but you need also to siphon the gravel regularly.

Also when you buy betta i would quarantine it first make sure he is healthy before you put him in the tank. Sorry but sometimes you can buy sick betta and then end up disinfecting the tank and everything in the tank. So if you can have extra even 0.5 or 1 gall hospital tank in case he can get sick ….and I would hold him there before you put him in his permanent tank.

Also really recommend to have first aid kit. When you go to the store grab aquarium salt, epsom salt (any pharmacy). My mother also has all kind of medications just in case.

Also for food I would recommend Aqueon Betta food;New Life SPECTRUM Betta Formula; Top fin color enhancing bitts. Life spectrum pellets sink to the bottom very fast though. Top fin pellets long floating one’s. I don’t like flakes since they are messy. And if you don’t do 1005 water changes you don’t want food on the bottom of the tank because it will decompose in I think 72 hrs and contaminate the water. So always remove uneaten food …
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote