Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #11 
Aus

I.. can't see any ich. I enlarged the pics by a lot, and saw nothing that is obviously that. If your fish isn't 'flashing' -- darting suddenly and wildly to smack himself into gravel or plants, as if trying to scratch, and he hasn't got clear white spots.. then it's very probably not ich!

So that's the good news.

Bad news is: those spiny plastic plants are what will be shredding his fins, which I notice are a little raggedy-looking. I can't see any rot so far.. so what I'd do is remove the plants and make sure his water's really nice and clean and warm. You'll see the fins repair pretty quickly, if he's a healthy fish. And he seems to be, by looking at him, his colour is good.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #12 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Really? Ackk, I guess I mistook the reflection of his scales for Ich.... I definitely learned a lot about Ich and how to treat it, though.

And yes, I noticed his fins were starting to look a bit shredded. He likes to hide inside the plants or go behind them sometimes. They must sell fake plants that are more fish-friendly in the pet store, so I will look for those!
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 
Joaquin

Oh, and, uhm, sorry. One more thing. Er, two:

1. Do you think my fish will mind being in a tank without decorations for a little bit until I can buy him new ones?

2. Do shredded fins lead to fin rot?

When I bought my fish, someone said that the fish would take over my life/control me, and I was like, "Ha." Now, I'm like, "Ha..." So, I know I have said this a million times by now, but for reaallll, thank you for your help and patience.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #14 
Aus

Well, what goes around tend to come around, here, in the way of help. Do stop feeling silly - I think people here tend to focus on the fact that you care about your betta..

1. He might not care, but even stress is better than the risk of worse fin damage. Try getting him a silk plant or two, they're soft and won't rip his fins - most fish love them. Or some java moss, which helps with ammonia. Wisteria's good too, but does better in filtered tanks.

2. Yes. Not always, but it often can.

3. Bettas are addictive, the end. ;)

4. Don't panic. Your betta look fine, aside from the rips, I didn't see rot. If it happens, it's curable! :)

I'm a bit tired, so forgive me if you've already stated this - but does he have a heater?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #15 
Joaquin

Oh, yes! Silk plants! I'm hunting for those tomorrow!

No, he currently doesn't have a heater. I'm worried a heater won't work too well with a 1 gallon tank. (His temperature is always around 78 degrees.)

I have my eye on either a 2.5 gallon tank or a 3.5 gallon tank, though, so I kind of want to get him a small heater for whichever one of those tanks I get, especially for winter time.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 
Aus

Ah, well, he's warm enough then, for now. And yes, silk plants are good - do check for spiky bits, some do have them. But both my fish have a silk plant as well as real ones, and they love them..

If you're opting for a bigger tank, grab a ball of java moss too, and wisteria to float. My fish play in theirs all day, and the floaty wisteria makes a nice resting spot near the top. Java fern can float nicely too, and the broad leaves are little 'hammocks'.

In any case.. enjoy your fishy! (and welcome to the world of betta addiction.. bahaha..)
Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 
Joaquin

Okay, cool! I will remember that.

And a-thank-ya! I'm sure this addiction is totally worth it .
Thanks, again!

Tags
disease, ich, jungle, medicine, white spots