Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

How do you change your water?

I mean I just sorta drag the bucket to and from the bathroom as it is the next room over, but I cna't lift that heavy bucket, so I use cups and cup it in untill the bucket is heavy enough for me to lift. Do you remove decor when you clean?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 
Mo

I siphon the water into a bucket and keep the decorations in there, then when the buckets fukk I dump the water out into the sink and fill it up
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
lelei

So glad you brought this one up Pog..lol..well having trouble with the siphon I have, I was doing this cup by cup, from a 3 gal tank, but yes I remove all decorations, and rinse well in hot water, put aside, go back to tank, take out a few more cups or water, fill the bucket (same as you) until it's enoough to carry..to the sink..and then when it's time to put water back in, mix the water conditioner in the bucket, then cup by cup I put more in..(wow, what a time consuming process) why I only do it on Sunday's..I have no time during the week for this..about an hr..maybe a lil more..how long does it take you?

I recently got my siphon to work..and it made it a lil easier, to get the water out, but it's still a cup by cup process to put water in, for some reason. it won't work the other way..(assuming gravity prob) bucket on floor, fish tank on table..lol
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
vaw103

I have a 3 gallon plastic garbage can that I siphon the water into. I'm teeny, (19 years old and just barely 100 pounds) and I can carry the full bucket just fine

I have nasty well water at my house, so we only drink bottled water that we buy by the gallon. I save the empty gallon jugs, and fill them up with water and condition them ahead of time, and let it sit to get to room temperature

Oh, and I leave the decorations in (:
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I use a water changer. I just turn on the sink, which starts suction, stick the siphon in the tank, drain, flip the lever on the sink attachment, re-fill, add dechlor, done :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
vaw103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I use a water changer. I just turn on the sink, which starts suction, stick the siphon in the tank, drain, flip the lever on the sink attachment, re-fill, add dechlor, done :)
That sounds magical! How long is the hose though? My tanks are all pretty far from any sink..
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #7 
Cargo

I'm 13 and I'm underweight and weigh about 75 pounds. When I change the water out of my goldfish tank, I siphon 5 gallons into a 5 gallon water cooler container/jug. My room is close to the bathroom, so I really don't have to carry it far. Its heavy though. Weighs about 40 pounds.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #8 
Aus

I have preconditioned water stored in old milk containers (100% clean ofc) under my sink, about 4-5 gallons worth, both for emergencies and for water changes.

I unplug everything from all tanks, filters/heaters. Wait a few mins for heaters to cool. Cup all fish. Take heaters out of tanks where necessary. Carry the small plastic tank to the sink, empty, refill with warm water, condition it. Use bucket & vac siphon to clean filtered/planted tank. Use pre-conditioned water to fill that (I never do more than 50% on that tank, so it heats up pretty quick). Feed shrimp. Replace heaters. Plug all back in. Acclimate fish, where needed (one of mine has major stress attacks in the cup, so I tend to just plop her back in when the temp is right as the ph diff is minimal). Check sump levels on the Dymax (where the heater is).. Empty bucket/tidy up.. Total time, maybe 15 mins, if I'm on a roll.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

Wow. I just siphon water out, dump bucket in bathtub (or into garden) and fill up, and drag to tank and pour in oh and dechlorinator!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 
lelei

@MrVamp..Is it possible to show a pic of a wTer changer?i couhld really..really use one;)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote