Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 
Roosofina

Very Sudden Onset of Fin Rot?

Hi -

When I got home from work today, I noticed my fish Leo has a seriously tattered fin.

I just changed ~75% of his water last night (he's in a 2.5 gallon tank), and he looked just fine... but now it's barely 24 hours later, and his fins are seriously damaged.

Is it possible for fin rot to set on so quickly??
This is the first time I've experienced this... what is the best course of action?

I've included 2 photos.

Last edited by Roosofina; 06-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Roosofina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 
underdebate

I experienced the exact same thing and I totally thought it was fin rot too! Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), it's not rot-- from what I can tell it looks like he's biting. Fish bite for a number of different reasons-- could be the stress of the water change, or quite possibly he's just bored, or doesn't feel like he has enough privacy.

The best thing you can do for him is keep his water clean to avoid infection, and keep him in a stress-free environment (I've heard rearranging the tank decor/adding new plants can sometimes work wonders!). I've had two biters, one a veil and the other a halfmoon, and the HM still chews off his tail periodically but the veil has only bitten a couple times, and after a bit of tank-rearranging he stopped completely.

Your boy's fins will grow back with a little TLC. :)
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 
LionCalie

Do you have a filter in the tank, any plastic plants, or decorations he could have hurt himself on?

If we can rule out injury, then I would say that yes, that is fin rot. It does not look like tail biting to me.

Last edited by LionCalie; 06-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #4 
Roosofina

All the plants are silk, so I don't think he caught himself on anything... there is a filter, but it's well-guarded and he never swims around it, so I don't think he could've gotten sucked in or anything...

I'm concerned because there is some discoloration around the damaged areas.. it's sort of grayish brownish, hard to tell..

So... do I change all of his water again? Add aquarium salts? Are there other meds I might consider?
Roosofina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
underdebate

Since you just changed his water so recently, I'd hold off-- he's good for now. Leave him for a couple days and watch his fins. If you start to see noticeable discoloration (and I mean visible black edges-- it WILL look a little discoloured now because he did just chew a big chunk off), it's time to start thinking about aquarium salt. Otherwise, continue with your regular water change schedule-- maybe a bit more frequent than usual if you can do it without stressing him out-- and within a week you'll start to see little translucent-white bits of regrowth.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 
LionCalie

I can see the grayish you are talking about, it is probably because the fin is dead.

Adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt (make sure to dissolve it in some aquarium water first) wouldn't hurt at this point. Remember not to use aquarium salt for more than 10 days.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #7 
Luimeril

that's not tail biting. 8I that looks like legit fin rot. you can see how the crinkled dead fin there.

try to keep his water as cleans as you can. adding a little AQ salt like LionCalie suggested would help, too. 8V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I think biting or damage... either way clean water, daily water changes if you can, and aquarium salt. 1tsp/gal should be sufficient, if you don't seen any change after 3 days bump it up to 2 tsp/gal. Do not use for more than 10 days.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, sudden onset