Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hey, where's a good place to buy bettas these days? I'm going to be back for a month in July and want to set up a tank for my grandma. I'm definitely getting the heater here though
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #12 
SarahandOscar

Hi LBF, Thanks heaps for the meds advice, i figured it'd be illegal like many of the surface plants so thanks for confirming.

So far we have VIC, NT and NSW, i'm not sure about QLD yet. I've found a FANTASTIC store in SYD (Aquadisiac - Surry Hills Sydney) that has the most diverse range of Betta's and takes pride and care of them all, it's a bit far from home but well worth the trip.

Next time i take my pup to the vet i'll ask about fish meds as well. I've been to at least 10 different aquarium and pet stores and haven't seen much (unless it's all hidden behind the counter) so i appreciate the direction
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

If you're in Sydney, I believe Aquaristic is a great LFS. There also seems to be lots of bettas available at Auburn Aquarium, though I'm not sure what suburb this is in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

wooooooaaaaaahhhh so far, I have yet to get my Ps. I've been on my La for like... 4 years. I think I'll check out the Aquarium in Asquith before venture out to the city. Though I di live in Surry hills when I went to Usyd
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #15 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Hey, where's a good place to buy bettas these days? I'm going to be back for a month in July and want to set up a tank for my grandma. I'm definitely getting the heater here though
Aquadisiac without a doubt for Betta's! I'm yet to see a store take better care of their Betta's than there.

Hurstville Aquarium (hurstville) or City pet and Aquarium (Blacktown) for accessories and Tanks. Heaters are $20 for adjustable (25w aqua one) or $30 non adjustable (10w marina) and they are the best i can find so far. and i've been visiting aquariums and fish stores every weekend for the last 2 months, calling around, getting prices... best i can find so far.

You may find bits and pieces cheaper at either Petbarn or Petcare2000 but they are general pet stores and although they have live fish take atrocious care of them, as in they are in those round shallow plastic "take away" food containers and don't get water changes.

I definitely recommend Hurstville and Blacktown for supplies and Aquadisiac for Betta's.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #16 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
If you're in Sydney, I believe Aquaristic is a great LFS. There also seems to be lots of bettas available at Auburn Aquarium, though I'm not sure what suburb this is in.
hmm i'm yet to visit those ones, They're on the list for next weekend as i'm away this long weekend. Thanks so much
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
Aquadisiac without a doubt for Betta's! I'm yet to see a store take better care of their Betta's than there.

Hurstville Aquarium (hurstville) or City pet and Aquarium (Blacktown) for accessories and Tanks. Heaters are $20 for adjustable (25w aqua one) or $30 non adjustable (10w marina) and they are the best i can find so far. and i've been visiting aquariums and fish stores every weekend for the last 2 months, calling around, getting prices... best i can find so far.

You may find bits and pieces cheaper at either Petbarn or Petcare2000 but they are general pet stores and although they have live fish take atrocious care of them, as in they are in those round shallow plastic "take away" food containers and don't get water changes.

I definitely recommend Hurstville and Blacktown for supplies and Aquadisiac for Betta's.
Awesome, I'll be down in Hurstville quite a bit too. Are the tanks there cheap too?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #18 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
wooooooaaaaaahhhh so far, I have yet to get my Ps. I've been on my La for like... 4 years. I think I'll check out the Aquarium in Asquith before venture out to the city. Though I di live in Surry hills when I went to Usyd
Well Hurstville and Blacktown are right next to the stations, I saw 2 DTVT's a few H/moons and a few Giants at Blacktown last night actually. i gotta pay off the Credit card before i buy any more.... sigh.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #19 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Awesome, I'll be down in Hurstville quite a bit too. Are the tanks there cheap too?
Well they're the cheapest I've seen for filtered tanks although i'll be going back to petbarn or petcare2000 for my unfiltered tanks.

Hurstville is pretty kool, very friendly HUGE range of well priced food and filter/water care, they have an ok range of Betta's too.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #20 
Aus

Melbourne's northern suburbs here!

I think part of the reason the betta 'scene' is more active up north is that it's so darned cold down here!.. I hate winter.. lugging a betta to a show in the cold doesn't sound too appealing.

The other week I had a new bed delivered, the company was late coming, it was evening and I had my tank lights on. The couple (family business) who arrived with the bed immediately stepped toward Cleo's tank, lol - "Oh, we had bettas, we miss them!" and then we talked for about half an hour about our fish.. they decided they were going to get another.. then remembered we were meant to be doing business!

Was funny, but made me wish there was an informal sort of betta-lover's group (that I could get to, with no car!) for discussions/swaps/ etc. It was so nice to chat away with people who truly loved their fish.

Great to see so many Aussies here, and yes, good to have those alternate medications.. I've used Myxazin & Protozin.. Protozin kills ich dead, amazing stuff. I'm yet to find the pig&poultry treatment, but sooner or later I'm sure I'll come across it and stock up.

http://aquagreen.com.au is a great place to get native plants, fish and inverts. I emailed Dave there (they're in NT I believe..) re low-light plants, and he was really nice, gave a recommended list and a good price. He has a really good reputation, as well. for sales/shipping and the like. When I do my NPT later this year (pending a house move..), I want to make it a native tank and I've been after a place to get long-armed shrimp for ages, so that was all super helpful.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote