Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

this is the lotus that bloomed last year in the plastic goldfish tub we have outside :D if anyone wants, I can probably ship them some of that water weed we have growing on top, might make a great ammonia sink :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #22 
amynuss

Brissie girl here! I've only got the one fish so far and am still trying to figure everything out so some tips from Aussie locals would really help!

There's an aquarium store reasonably close to my place, Aquarama, that is where I got Tully from. I went there the other day to see if they had any plants for my new tank and they were quite expensive I think, but I don't really know where else to go. The betta cups also seemed very dirty... Which was very disappointing. I'd love to get another fish but want to get it from somewhere they look after the fish!!
amynuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #23 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
this is the lotus that bloomed last year in the plastic goldfish tub we have outside :D if anyone wants, I can probably ship them some of that water weed we have growing on top, might make a great ammonia sink :)
Ammonia sink?? I don't have any live plants, I didn't think I could with barely any natural light or my 9L tank (man it's good to speak metric hahaha) perhaps there's an option after all???

HI AUS!!!!! Lovely for you to join us, I'm excited about this thread!!!!
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
Ammonia sink?? I don't have any live plants, I didn't think I could with barely any natural light or my 9L tank (man it's good to speak metric hahaha) perhaps there's an option after all???

HI AUS!!!!! Lovely for you to join us, I'm excited about this thread!!!!
Java moss and Java fern hardly need any light, unless your tank doesnt hve lighting at all... which is another story.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #25 
Batmantha

I like the look of java fern. I'm still considering putting it in the betta tank, it always looks nice when I see it in the shops but then they always do :)
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #26 
Aus

aokashi - it'd be cool if we get a plant ID on that floating weed - State laws also restrict some plants.. it'd be best to check before I hassle you for some of that! I'd be happy to send you some $ by paypal to cover postage, if it's all a-okay. That lotus is stunning, by the way! We had them wild on our duck pond when I was a kid, white ones.. they were considered a pest. But I loved them.

Nice to be here, Sarah! I'm excited about it, too. I'm hoping a few more Melbourne folks hop in. It'd be great to know some more locals. And susswasstertang (freshwater 'seaweed') also tolerates low light. Mine's going nuts in the dingiest corners of Cleo's (possibly slighty over-planted atm) tank. Just tie it gently in a bunch so it doesn't break up all over the tank.. Java moss has been proven to lower ammonia levels by a bit, best stuff ever for low light.. You might consider a few small LED lamps if you wanted plants though.. I use the ones that came with my Dymax tanks, 6500K LED, they screw-clamp to the sump section at the back. You can get strips as well.. I'm finding them good for small tanks, the plants are thriving. Cost about $12-15.

Welcome, amynuss! Nice to meet you. My best advice as a fellow noob is: don't panic! lol. It all seems very overwhelming at first.. If you buy plants from the LFS/pet store, be aware that quite a few are not actually aquatic plants.. they'll eventually die and rot, submerged. Good ones for betta tanks (worth the hideous cost of shop prices) are java moss and wisteria. Depends on your set-up, as to which plants will suit.. whether you have lights/natural light/temps/etc. Maybe there's some people local to you on here who could post a few..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #27 
Aus

Batmantha - java moss is brilliant. And that fish in your avatar.. I just have to say - wow! So pretty. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'll try to ID it when I get back to the Aussielands. My mom got it up near New Castle somewhere, there apparently is a place that specializes in water lily and ponds up there. I think we also have some other weeds growing, i'll see what we have in there when I get back in a week or so.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #29 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Batmantha - java moss is brilliant. And that fish in your avatar.. I just have to say - wow! So pretty. :)
Thank you, Phanta is my first, I was looking around and saw him, my giant purplish boy and couldn't help myself, I had to buy him :)
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

foooooouuunnndddddd and ID'd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azolla_pinnata

" The plant has the ability to absorb a certain amount of heavy metal pollution, such as lead, from contaminated water"

Awesome huh?