Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 
BeckyFish97

HELP!please!

A lot of you probably know I have been planning to breed my betta's for weeks, I have everything that is necessary and it is all in the tank, including the male on the outside and the female on the inside of the chimney!Both were showing the perfect signs, so I let the female out, that is where it went wrong, I am not sure why, but the female has 4 rips in her tail after 5 minutes, and is now back in her chimney.The tank is a 6.5gal square tank with 4-6 inches of water, a couple of plants, a foam cup, heater, IAL and a light.Any ideas as to what went wrong?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 
Thomasdog

Not sure, but I had the same problem 13 hours ago, and it was due to not enough plants. Your bettas want a place to hide. Or it might just be normal behavior. Your fish might not want to spawn to... it would be best to ask one of the more experienced breeders. Maybe post a pic of their tank, and if possible, a movie of their interactions. :) Hope it turns out OK. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #3 
BeckyFish97

Thanks thomas dog, I might move a couple of plants from my community tank into the breeding tank. I'm charging my camera right now, to take a pic and upload it, also I will post a vid if I can!I tried explaining to gandalf that it is a common misconception that girls like it rough, but he doesn't seem to understand that concept :P Thanks :)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Nothing went wrong by the sounds of things.....

Add lots and lots of cover for the female to get away to rest...its not uncommon for either to end up with some rip/nip fins and missing scales.....

They may play tags for hours to days before they spawn....its all part of the pre-spawning behavior......

As long as the female is not stressed to the point of death....leave them alone......if she puts her head in the corner either at the top or bottom, panting heavy refusing to move....then remove her.....otherwise....leave them alone....patience......

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 
BeckyFish97

OK here are some pictures of the setup, and the link to the video.

OFL, I'm not sure if she's at "deaths door" yet but she isnt looking too clever :(

http://youtu.be/wy3MJ9sr0m8

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I forgot to add, I've never bred such an aggressive male before, so I may just be overreacting to the shock of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 06-07-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

With some it can get pretty violent.....It can be hard when its your first spawn....but if she want out...let her out......otherwise she may prematurely drop her eggs since they are ripe now..and you will have to start over....

I should have watched the video first.....lol....looks like normal behavior to me, however, you need more cover for the female so she can rest between chases......

His chasing and hitting her are all part of the pre-spawn behavior and what gets her in the mood...so-to-speak....soon he will become more gentle, slap her with his tail swimming in the "S" pattern and she will start to follow him in the head down position...don't be surprised if once she is under the nest-he attacks her and the game of tags starts over....or they will start to embrace.....every spawn can be different even with the same pair....sit back and watch....its an awesome site to see......but don't interfere.......

Good luck....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #7 
BeckyFish97

Sorry I wasn't clear, this is my second spawn, the first one didn't work out, all the babies died at less than a week, due to my own stupid blunder, the mother and father of that spawn were so gentle!I don't understand why it has to be so violent...well I do, but I dont like it!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Well, by the pics you need more hiding places for the female.

It can be rough for the female, and I have never had one end up without looking like it had been through a blender... but still if she is to survive she needs to be able to find an escape route.

I like java moss as she can embed herself into it and get away. Some will take a ceramic pot and break it in half so she has a hiding place... I used to take a styrofoam board and make a partition with a hole in it so she can escape to the other side.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
Sincerely

I would add more plants or decorations for the female, the tank seems a little barren so there is no hiding places for the girl. This might be a reason he is being so aggressive with her (Or maybe not, he could be just be a bully.) If you have java moss or Xmas moss that seemed to work out really good for me because my girl could slip into the moss fast and the male can't follow her without getting slowed down considerably (Kanki didn't even try to follow Pandora into the moss after the first time LOL)

That's all I've got for you as a suggestion, good luck!

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #10 
BeckyFish97

Thanks guys, will add more
just out of interest, would a tardis ornament work?It is a fish tank one so no problem on that score, but I wonder would it get in the way?

EDIT:they seem to be a little calmer now?Not sure why?

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 06-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.