Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
Moby

Exclamation Serious food problem, also possible infection

I have two issues

1. My betta hasn't eaten for 3 days. I am feeding him pellets and he used to eat them all the time before he got sick. Now he trys to eat them but spits it out. Hell go after the same pellet two or three times and itll be in his mouth for a second then pop up. I tried cutting the pellet into smaller pieces, and also flakes. Neither has produced a different result. What should I do?

2. Does my fish have ich? Here is a picture, please let me know because I don't want to medicate it if thats not the problem. http://postimage.org/image/w9rca9gkb/
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 
Atena

I am not sure it is ich as when mine had it, it looked a little diferent.

I would do a water change as a first course of action, just make sure the parameters are very close including temperature as to not shock the fish.

Try getting micro pallets. When my betta Guppy had ich he stopped eating the pallets and did not like flakes but he did eat the micro pallets.

I treated mine with ich medicine (that turned all my silicone parts blue) and aquarium salt. but in retrospect I think the aquarium salt alone would have been enough.

Have you done anything recently to change your tank that could have stressed your betta or lowered his immune system?

Have you done a water change?

How quickly did the fish develop symptoms, and how was he acting before he developed symptoms?

He looks clammed up in the photo, is he otherwise happy?

What are your water parameters and temperature?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 
sunlight

Sorry Atena i follow all your posts. Sorry i just searching forum...Atena can you tell us what kind of medications did you use?

Yes it is ich or velvet. It is external parasites.

You need to go and buy aquarium salt at the pet store asap we will give you instructions. If you can buy medications and treat him like Atena did.

You also need to take everything out of his tank. Is it live plants that I saw on the picture?

Let us know we will give you instructions

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 
Ramble

maybe one of the more experienced fish folk on here can give you better advice, but to my not too experienced eye, it looks like it could be velvet. If you shine a light on your fish, does it look like it's covered in gold dust?
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I think that might be velvet, but I've never seen it before. I'll pass the link on to someone who's dealt with this and is super helpful :) get aquarium (AQ) salt on hand, I believe he needs a high dosage of that.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 
Atena

Its okay sun... I am just trying to helpful but I am by no means an expert. I will have to check the.medication when I get home tonight because I am at work now. You could search my.old posts, I am sure I mentioned it during guppy treatment.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #7 
sunlight

Thank you Atena :)
Velvet and ich both of them external parasites and you can treat them the same way. Look like Moby's fish has ick. I posted picture below: DISEASE: ICK

uGENERAL INFO: Ick is a pesky little parasite. If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will never get ick. It is very contagious, but bettas will fully recover if treated promptly. Frozen live food may carry ich. tiny white dots on body, head and fins, typical of ich

uSYMPTOMS: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. He may be less active, may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped. he may also be darting and scratching against rocks, plants and whatever else he can find.
uTREATMENT: Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F and add one drop of Aquarisol per gal every day until cured. It will only take a few days to get rid of the pesky little parasites. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then you cannot raise the temperature. Do not attempt to put a heater in a tank smaller than 5 gal. You cannot control temperature fluctuation in a small tank/bowl and will probably end up boiling your betta!!! Do a full water change and add one drop of Aquarisol and salt (per above proportions) to the water. If you have empty tank and heater, then move betta to it and raise temperature of water to 85 F as per above. The reason is that the parasites are sensitive to the heat and at 85F they become free swimming (detach themselves from betta’s skin and go for a swim in the water which contains the Aquarisol. Aquarisol then kills them). Guess their mothers never told them to never go for a swim right after dinner!! :)))). Note, BettaZing (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) can also do the job, in case you do not have aquarisol on hand. if you have both, go with the old fashion Aquarisol recipe, it works great.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #8 
sunlight

I didn't see anyone recommended Aquarisol. So i can't recommend it. I would wait for Atena and see what medications she use, may be you can find the same medications. But it doesn’t mean that Aquarisol is not good though…

How big is your tank?
If you have big tank you can put him in the smaller container. Or you can reduce water in his tank.
Can you raise the temperature up to 85-86*?

Raising the water temp will speed the life cycle of the ich and it will help make the ich fall off the fish faster so you can manually remove the ich from tank/container the fish is in. Also temp over 86 and the ich is said to stop reproducing and some even sy it will kill the ich

By air drying the net and container between used will kill any ich that may be on it

Take everything out of the tank. You will need to wash it with very hot water and put it outside on sun or inside make sure it completely dried out. Don't put anything back in his tank until you know that you completely got rid of the parasites.

I would really recommend salt.

Disregard directions on the salt instructions above that i put for you along with picture.

You will need 2tsp/gall with temperature raised and 100% daily water changes.

Now Atena you know better since you used medications and salt. When did you use medications together or at the end of the treatment ?

So i would do what Atena did.

Also you need to wash the container he is in and the container that you put him in when you change him. Wash , dry out. And the same with net , if you are using one.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Moby, that is definitely velvet. The best way to treat it is using high heat at around 86 F, 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon, and LOTS of water changes (at least one 100% daily). Also, velvet is light responsive so put your betta in the darkest place you can think of. Light makes them multiply.

The reason I don't suggest any medications is because velvet parasites are highly resistant to chemicals. There is only one brief stage in their entire life cycle that chemicals have even a slight chance of working so you're better of using AQ salt to get the parasites to fall of and then removing them from the tank via water changes.

Treat with the salt for at least a week, up to 14 days if necessary. Don't use Coppersafe. It's a very potent medication and can do more damage than good.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #10 
Atena

Actually, I feel the aquarium salt alone at the higher dosage recommended here is a better solution than the medication. Use the medication only if the other method does not work for you within a few days. Guppy's ick took 4 days to get better, but I kept the streatment up for the full 10 days, I suggest you do the same as so much of the cycle is invisible to us. I hear it is harder to get rid of the second time around. Luckily I had no re-occurrence, and I hope I never will.

The medication I used is called AP quick Cure. It leaves all the silicone parts blue so be sure you don't leave anything you want clear in the tank, the color it never comes off and it clings to EVERYTHING.

Also, if you use another medication with the AQ salt, be sure it is compatible with the salt. not all medication can be used with salt.

I have no experience with velvet, just ick.

You can read my entire ordeal as I went through it at http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=100924 if it helps.

Atena :)