Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
Bcake86

My betta has ick, help

I got my betta named pirate about two weeks ago. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a few decorations and a moss ball. He has a heater that has the tank at 79 Fahrenheit and a tetra whisper 10 internal filter. He eats new life spectrum small fish formula, he also freeze dried blood worms, and frozen brine shrimp. How can I rid him of ick without killing my moss ball and my bio filter? Or staining my tank green?
Bcake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
Kenny G

I use API super ick cure. You can find it in stores like petland discounts for about 5.00 for a 4 oz bottle. Make sure you read the bottles instructions for proper dosage.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 
vaw103

You shouldn't have to use medications to treat ick. Slowly bumping up your heater to 84* should do the trick. You need to do a gravel vacuum everyday to suck up any ick that fell off the fish, or else it can reinfect. I'm not sure how long you continued treatment after the ick has disappeared though. I'm thinking maybe a week?

And since you're not using any medication, I don't think you have to worry about doing any damage to your moss
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

take him out to a quaratine tank. you can float him in the original tank if you do not have a heater for a smaller tank. turn temperature up to 82.

Dose aquarium salt at 1tsp/gal, increase dosage slowly up to 3 tsp/ gal.
Change the water everyday and scrub the quaratine tank with hot water before refilling.

If the ich is bad, quaratine him the same way, but instead of aq salt, use medication.

Make sure none of the meds get into your tank.
You will have to keep him in Qt for 3 weeks before you can be sure that the ich in your tank has died out.

meanwhile, may be dosing kordon ich attack will help...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 
Bcake86

I thought your supposed to treat the entire tank when treating ick brecause it lives in the water?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #6 
Bcake86

I am going to try the heat method. I have another heater with an adjustable thermostat. I was reading that ick is killed at 89.5 degrees, can a betta handle that?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #7 
Kenny G

After searching the internet for extended periods of time and reading countless articles the most popular answer is a water temperature of 85 degrees for a sick betta with ick.

The biggest debate is using medicine or warmer water. I say go with your gut instincts. It if just started (with careful monitoring) you can try warmer water. If its been a few days and you see signs of lethargic or unusual behavior I would not risk it and go with meds.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

ich needs a host. all you do by upping the temperature is to speed up its life cycle...

but deprivin the ich of its host > the betta fish. they will eventually die out. I would still recommend you do a 100% eater change and vaccum out the gravel. The betta should be treated separately.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 
Bcake86

Well I upped the heat to 86 and added an air stone. I tried without the air stone and he looked so stressed. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 
Bcake86

Also my tank is bare bottomed because I could not decide on a substrate