Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #1 
Enkil

My breeding

So it is official. I will be doing my first spawn next month. I am getting my final supplies in order in the meantime.

Supplies:
Tanks - two 10 gallon, two 2 gallon
I am going to be getting a tub for grow out as well. Complete with filter and heater.
Foods for conditioning (I have NLS pellets, mosquito larva, and frozen blood worms).
I am getting sponge filter(s) and fry foods. I am open to suggestions on which ones to get and good places to get them from. I would be looking to order the fry foods on the 1st or after.

I plan on having java moss in my spawning tank.
If you can think of anything I am forgetting, feel free to mention it! I wont take offense. I know it is likely that I'm forgetting something.

Planned Spawns:

Spawn 1 - HM dragons
For this spawn, I plan on using my HM female Eva (bred by DarkMoon). She is a black marble dragon HM that carries the PK gene. I will be breeding her to one of her brothers. I am open to suggestions on which one. All three have sharp edges and a nice 180 spread with good balance. Egil is a red dragon and a tail biter. Leonidas is a superb bubble nest maker and a black dragon with red wash. Odin is a black dragon with complete dragon scaling. His dragon scaling partially covers his eyes.

Spawn 2 - Giant HMPK x HMPK
For this spawn, I plan on trying my Uther and an unnamed female. Uther is a giant HMPK. He is black with yellow on his face/head. The female is bright orange with a her head and fins being a darker and yet brighter orange. She has excellent form with nice sharp edges to her tail and perfect 180 spread.

I have a couple of other pairs I'm working on as well, but haven't finalized them yet. They are HMPKs. Again, I'm open to any input or opinions. That's why I'm here. I'll be sharing pictures of the pairs soon. Going to try to take better pictures of them now that they've settled into their new homes.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

hmm I would say the black with red wash :p Really, condition them all. If the first two don't work, grab another male... If you wanted to however, because I am unsure if Odin would have the sclaes completely cover his eyes soon... If you wanted to breed him, do it before that possibilty.

The giant HMPK x HMPK you probably will get only HMPK regulars, if she is not a giant.

Your spawns sound awesome =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
Enkil

Thank you. ^_^

I was thinking about Odin. I had to cup them when we bombed the house. During that time, they could see Eva and their two other sisters. Of the three boys, Egil is the only one that didn't start blowing a bubble nest. I really do like Odin's form Right now he can still see, so I think I'll give him a chance.
I do plan on conditioning all three to be safe.

The orange HMPK female isn't a giant, but she is large. I'm going to try to get pictures of them here in just a moment.

Another pair I have been considering is my Gwynfor and my new orange dragon female. Have also been thinking about my Sholto (male HMDbT) with one of my blue females (dark blue HMPK). I'll try to get pictures of them as well.

So long as the spawns go well, I will be selling the fry. I will give people here on the forums first pick before then selling them on AB and locally.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That's awesome looks like you got a good plan haha
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
Enkil

Pictures!

Just took some pictures. They really didn't want to cooperate with me, but I managed a few. The dragon HM boys were not having any part of picture taking.

Pic 1: Orange HMPK female. Yet to be named.
Pic 2: Orange HMPK female.
Pic 3: Sholto last Sunday. HMDbT male
Pic 4: Orange dragon female. She moves so much it's hard to get a picture.
Pic 5: Eva.
Pic 6: Uther, Giant HMPK
Pic 7: Sholto today.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 
tpocicat

They look really nice. Too bad you can't get a shot of them flaring. IMO those are the most impressive pictures.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 
Enkil

Eva flared immediately after I took that pic of her. XD
Since coming to me, Uther has only flared when I had him floating in Leonidas's section of a 10 gal tank while I got his tank set up. He is absolutely gorgeous when he flares. Even his beard is marbled black and yellow. I'll continue to try to get better pictures of them. I fear that getting one of Gwynfor is a lost cause. He wont hold still for anything. lol

I tried to get a picture of the girl I want to try with Sholto. She is very uncooperative though. Any time I get an opportunity to get a good pic of her, Fflur swims between her and the camera. XD
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Fflur is a camera hog xDDD

they are all so pretty!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #9 
Enkil

Thank you! I'm so glad I managed to get them.
Fflur is definitely a camera hog. She is also being a typical CT female: eggy. I don't have any CT boys though. Have the two females. Thinking about keeping an eye out for a nice male. I certainly have the room and means. XD
Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

for me it's mainly my VTs who are super eggy.