Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #11 
Enkil

For me, My CT girls are eggy along with Lolth. Lolth seems to get eggy fairly easily. Unfortunately, her anal fin is a bit long. Not too much so though.

Have a couple of errands to run today and then I will be scrubbing some equipment. Need to clean the two 10 gallon tanks. Then I need to see about scrubbing my gravel vac and 5 gallon bucket.. They were both used with the water my two sick fish were in.... I may just buy new ones. If I can salvage them, I'd like to though.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

My spade tail (mustard gas I think?) gets super eggy... But she does not like to cooperate she bullies the poor males.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #13 
Enkil

Oh my.

Eva is super sweet and isn't very aggressive. Not sure how that will match up to my males. Leonidas is very macho. Odin isn't too bad. I'm going to try him first and see how he handles things. He actually built a nice bubble nest when we were bombing the house. As did Leo. Of the three brothers, only Egil has not yet made one.

Working on getting things clean and set up. Going to scrub the two 2 gallon hospital tanks very thoroughly with very hot water. Same with my 5 gallon bucket. Do you think I can soak my gravel vac in super hot/boiling water and be able to safely use it again? I really don't want to scrap it, but will if I have to.

Thinking about aging water in the two 10 gallon tanks and using the hospital tanks to QT some live plants before setting up one of the 10 gallons for spawning. I will still be waiting to attempt the spawn until the 1st. This is when I will have extra money so I'll feel better about doing it then.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get fry food and some nice live plants? I know I want java moss for sure. Not sure what else would do well in my tanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Do you have some live foods? I like fairy shrimp (similar to bbs), microworms, and daphnia - sometimes if you get new live plants you end up with daphnia I order mine online... check around in your area, or close to, for someone who could have a culture already set up, and could give you some (daphnia or microworms).

I dismantle my gravel siphon, and put it in hot water. There's been times I needed to, and it still works...
Old 06-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #15 
Enkil

At the moment I have pellets and frozen. I was waiting to get cultures until the first.

I'll have to do that with mine then. It's going to get a super long soak. The hospital tanks and bucket will be getting a thorough scrubbing as will the two 10 gallons. No soap and no bleach. I'm a bit wary of bleach.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Agreed! I've only used vinegar and hot water mix, super rinsed like...3 or more times. Never had a problem =D
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #17 
Enkil

I'll use that method then. Want to sanitize anything that came into contact with the two sick fish I had. I am very protective of my fish and want to do what I can to keep them healthy.

I am also considering getting another tank to try to cultivate my own plants. I've been doing very well with some and they grow in my tanks already, but I want a tank where I can focus on just the plants.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Good idea!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #19 
Enkil

Update

Tanks are clean. I was aging water but no longer trust my bucket. I will only be using the bucket for dirty water. I will get a new one for clean water. My gravel vac and several containers are also being trashed. This is due to the loss of my favorite male, Gwynfor. He died this morning and I do not know why. I am thinking about taking bleach to his tank. The decor, gravel, and filter will be tossed. Unsure how to clean the heater. This means a spawn I had planned will no longer take place. I had planned to cross him with my orange dragon female.

I am keeping a VERY close on on the rest of my fish. Making sure I do everything right that can be done.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Oh no!!! That happened to my HM.... he just...died. His divided tank buddy was fine.