Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

80 gallon community tank

So, I decided, as much as my oscar is awesome having only 1-2 fish in a tank kinda sucks. I like utilizing space xD Plus he is a poop machine... I'd say worse than goldies but I wouldn't know... I've never had goldies... (although those itty bitty baby fantails WERE ADORABLE! -avoided-) The pleco is now healthy and can go to someone with a nice large tank for his needs =D

Anyways, so I would like to convert that tank, which is cycled for the last 3 or so months, into a large community tank. I want to remain with gravel instead of sand, and need to get something for the top to avoid brave jumpers x) I would prefer peaceful ones so I don't have to put a fish in time out every time x.x Color, and unusual or unique...whatever =D I'm not that picky :p

ANy ideas?! I'd love to get neon tetras... (I'll get live plants too btw)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wait, is the Oscar still in there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Wait, is the Oscar still in there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes but I won't start the community tank until he has a good home... I did find someone who has a hundred gallon or something who really REALLY wants him x.x
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
emeraldsky

Bah, someone needs to do a massive tiger barb tank, those are my favorite fish ;)
Someday Ill have one, itll be so pretty
/plans in a corner

Pictus cats are fun too, and look fabulous in large groups but they would eat anything small, like Neons. So I suppose not the best community fish unless you had larger ones.

Try looking at some Celestial Pearl Danios, or possibly some or the other run of the mill community fish, like raspboras and tetras and all that ^^

When I try to plan for tank stocking, I try and pick a fish I adore and base my stocking to bring attention to that fish.
Of course, I have yet to follow ANY stocking plans that I've ever made so take my opinions with a grain of salt :D
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
djembekah

GIANT BETTA SORORITY

jk

i'd do really brightly colored fish. maybe dwarf cichlids?

but neon tetras could be really neat especially if you have like, a school of 20
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 
lvandert

Piranhas!!! lol sorry I'm on a piranha spurt (hopefully getting some in a 55 gallon). ummm you could do a huge mix of a bunch of schooling fish.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

LOL I have a hard enough time with 8 females getting along, I removed 4 of them, and the big gals are still jerks.

piranhas LOL there's like 6 in the store right now xD HUGE too
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #8 
lvandert

lol piranhas actually are very peaceful fish, and very misunderstood just like our bettas. Their not as blood thirsty as you'd think (this sentence just made me giggle). I'd put my hand in a piranha tank, heck I plan on it when cleaning. You just cant make sudden movements or thrash (although that might be difficult in the 55) and you can't have any form of cut. You could swim in a pool of them and not get bit, once again as long as your not bleeding from somewhere and you know how to swim. lol but you probably don't want piranhas. Like I said last post, I've gone piranha crazy :P

But a giant tank of schooling community fish would be awesome!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I've seen the "Lake Monsters" or whatever it is, and he hopped into a pool of piranhas, pointing out 1. they are not hungry 2. he isn't wearing anything shiny (such as the young girl with a bottle cap belt), he isn't flailing like a dying animal, and he isn't bleeding :3 But, I bet it is still fun to feed them :p

I think... I wouldn't mind pearl gouramis but I'd have to read up what their needs are, and I don't know if you can have a group?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Piranha really should have a large (round 80-100 gallons) tank.. They need schools of 6 to be kept in a happy, "natural" state.
Gourami are amazing. Do it!
Maybe you should try a biotope? All fish from one part of the world? With some plants and stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote