Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #1 
clopez1

upgrading tank and need advice

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a small halfmoon male and 3 small ghost shrimp..Converting a 10 gallon I had for a tarantula into an aquarium and would like to add fish.. Transferring all from the present tank to the bigger plus of course more gravel and plants and would like to add fish but want bottom swimmers and have no clue what I can get, any suggestions? I was looking at albino cories which are cute but have no clue how many can be put with tank size and what I have already.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm clean the tank with vinegar and hot water first =D and rinse super well! Only because your transfering the tank back to an aquarium, and don't want contaminants ^^

You could do 3 cories, with the betta, however I am not sure about shrimp and cories. If cories can nom it, they basically will! If you add lots of live plants, silk and fabric plants, silicone plants, it shouldn't be much of a problem I'd say.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 
clopez1

Thanks..I doubt I'll do it anytime soon..Still in the planning part of the whole thing..Tank still has a tarantula in it and trying to find him a new home. I do appreciate your feedback.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

No problem Planning first is always good haha. Do you have live plants, or plant to get them? Java fern is so hardy! I got mine from overseas (ebay) and I have like...10 from that one now.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #5 
clopez1

I actually do, just 2 plants since I have a 2.5..Will get more along with more substrate..I have gravel which I will transfer over and may cover with black sand, not sure yet though. I'm new to all this so need to get a water testing kit to see if my tank has cycled to know if it's even worth transferring the gravel.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

2.5s are so hard to cycle... But it is still worth transfering the gravel over =D it does carry the start of beneficial bacteria.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 
clopez1

That makes sense.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 
clopez1

Does anyone know anything about dwarf rasboras? Do you thing a smallish school of them would work with the betta?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I will say I find rasbord nippy...not as bad as barbs, mind you. However, you could do about 4 with the betta, if you have enough cover for all of them.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #10 
clopez1

Wow..ok, last thing I need are nippy fish..When I got my betta his fins were all torn and are growing so I need to make sure nothing is in with him to ruin the healing by nipping at him.