Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

hmmm if you want, try getting short finned guppies... try aiming for duller colors, or more pastel colors. If your betta is not a menace, he can be with them and they don't tend to be very nippy. I've had a few males with guppies, and only a little bit of chasing from him and that's it. Again, lots of cover is suggested =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #12 
clopez1

What I would really like is something small mid to lower tank swimmers..I like albino cories but I have gravel and still not sure if going to transfer the gravel or going for sand. Oh I decided to get a petco 6.6 bookshelf..I like that it's shallow and wide instead of a 10 that I have read may sometimes be too high.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Well, with a bookshelf one, especially that size you are best off with just shrimp, with the betta, mainly because of the bioload of other fish.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #14 
clopez1

Even with 2 filters? I plan on using the filter that comes with it plus my marina i25 from the tank I have now.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

The only problem with adding another filter, is there will be more current, which isn't geat for bettas, especially in anything under 10. More fish, less room, which in turn could cause more stress for the betta. I usually only keep shrmp in anything under 10 with a betta, 10 I have guppies, ember tetras, in 20, a lot more of different species.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #16 
clopez1

ok..I'll have to rethink this then..May just keep him where he is if I can't really add to a bigger tank, he's comfy where he is. Could just redecorate, starting with switching filter for a sponge.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Sponge filters are awesome lol. Homemade, or assembled!!
Oh another reason I forgot to mention why I'd worry having fish in with a betta under 10 gallons... Most fish are ravonous eaters and the betta may miss out LOL
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #18 
clopez1

That does make sense with the eating thing but now I have a whole mess of sponge filter questions, I've never used one so not sure what type of airpump to get for it or anything lol. Out of the pot into the fire.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I use Tetra Whisper 10-20 quiet, and getting an adjustable air valve, will adjust the flow. USE an aquarium sponge NOT a cleaning sponge, or get an actual sponge filter piece (ebay is where I got mine)
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #20 
clopez1

My LPS has one I may look at 3 inches in diameter..Hoping it's not too big for my tank.