Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #11 
xShainax

Yeah, it's the Petco one :) But they don't sell small pieces at my Petco. :(
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #12 
Cargo

Tie a java fern to your centerpiece with some fishing line. It will bind itself to the centerpiece within a month or so. Marimo moss balls are cool looking and will prevent algae growth while sucking up ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. You could just throw in a little liquid plant fertilizer and watch them grow out.

You can also make a tunnel for you fish. You get a water bottle and cut the ends off to make a round tunnel. You can poke a few tiny holes into the tunnel and put the java fern's roots through the holes. The java fern will bind itself to the tunnel. You can also use aquarium silicone to bind some gravel onto the tunnel. It looks like a cave in the end.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #13 
glitchsniffer

So since you asked for decorating advice I figured I'd finally chime in with some advice. Find something for a centerpiece that shows the long beauty of the tank. Here is my tank.

I managed to find that piece of Mopani wood at Petland and as soon as I seen it I knew it was going to be perfect as my centerpiece. It was slender like the tank was and had just the perfect height to fit the tank perfectly. Then I just added the live plants around it and I am really pleased with how it turned out in the long run. The only thing I have really changed about it is the back left corner is very bare now as I have just let the Anacharis float, or gotten rid of it.

There are older pics of the tank when I set it up that shows the progress of the tank a bit better.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #14 
xShainax

I had to take out the cave and put it in my 2.5 for Taz. How do you clean your 6.6? With a siphon?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 
glitchsniffer

Yes I use a siphon to quickly suck out what shrimp poop I can in the time it takes to get the 25% of water out a week. Really simple now that its cycled.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #16 
xShainax

It's cycling right now and thee weird thing is, that my molly is actually doing alright in it
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #17 
Cargo

Finish filling up the rest with water. It will look better.

If you want, you could upgrade the lights. Otherwise, you should put in some low light plants live java fern, java moss, or marimo moss balls. They will absorb ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The moss ball will also absorb nutrients, a key role in fighting algae growth.

Also, considering moving your centerpiece. You may want to try moving it to one of the sides... the whole centerpiece thing is way overused, so I prefer keeping mine on the sides unless it looks exceptionally good in the middle.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #18 
xShainax

I removed the decoration into another tank to help my betta to stop destroying his tail