Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What is this fish, really?
It's definitely a boy. 1 4.17%
No question, it's a girl. 1 4.17%
It might be a guppy... 4 16.67%
It's cute. what else do you need to know? 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #11 
Ramble

It will eat the first bites, but it seems to prefer the microworms over other foods right now, so I'll keep up with those
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #12 
Timberland

aww so cute!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #13 
Thomasdog

dawwwww.. dumb pet store people... they told me Sparta was a female..... errrr, no he's not, he's from Thailand, trust me, he's a male! "Oh no! It's a girl! See how it doesn't flare bery big!!!"

Yeah right....
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #14 
BeckyFish97

OMG That baby must be what...3weeks old?"its definitely a boy?" and that employee was "definitely talking..."
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #15 
Ramble

Well, it's doing really well, whatever the age. I'm still giving it microworms and have started it on micropellets, which it does seem to eat. It was eating Hikari First Bites as well, but I want to make sure it gets enough protein and variety. So far, so good!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #16 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
1.) I admire you and anyone else who complains and points out dead or nearly dead bettas to store employers or managers. I am pretty shy and hate complaining but you guys give me the inspiration to try to muster up some balls and do the same thing.

2.) My Petco had between 10 and 15 baby bettas the other day. I won't even go into my confusion as to why they already stock so many adult bettas at one time since they just freaking sit there for months. But who buys baby bettas from a Petco or Petsmart, and why? Is it because you like the surprise of seing what it will be?

3.) how do you take care of a tiny baby betta?

4.) Why do you think Petco stocks so many baby bettas?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #17 
Junglist

I would say its a male, because the way how the back is shape on the dorsal there's more hump than a female or sometimes the you'll see the horizontal lines forming on the females. I'm guessing he looks like somewhere almost around 2months?
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #18 
Ramble

@Mursey- our Petco has close to 50 baby bettas at a time, all stacked in piles...it's sad, really. My friend has one as well, though it looks to be a bit older as it has marbled coloring showing as well as hints of being a crowntail. With some of the advice gleaned off this site, I'm feeding a few different foods, both live and processed, and it seems to be doing well. As for pointing out dead fish at the store, I usually try to be polite, yet stick to my point when I show them the dirty water and diseased fish.

@Junglist- heh. Your guess is probably better than mine. It's about 3/4th of an inch, maybe a wee bit more. no color yet. Hopefully some home-cooking will encourage it to grow. And it would be my luck to get another boy. The last two females I bought turned out to be juvenile males...ah, nature. Six boys and counting...
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #19 
Babydoll

I was so mad at the petco I went to .. I got directly to the petco company.. not an employee or manager.. and they wrote me back and since that time every time I have went in the water was cleaner and the sick fish were qt( because they were trying to sell them as healthy before!)
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #20 
Babydoll

I was so mad at the petco I went to .. I got directly to the petco company.. not an employee or manager.. and they wrote me back and since that time every time I have went in the water was cleaner and the sick fish were qt( because they were trying to sell them as healthy before!) The first visit nearly over half were sick or dead and then now only a few..
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote