Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 
MoltoBellaBetta

Exclamation Help!!!!!

I am a new Betta owner, my Betta Pepe has recently been losing his back fin. Is this from fin rot or the plastic plant in the tank? Please help! If it is fin rot what can I do to fix it, is there medication? If it isn't fin rot what can I do to fix his fin?
Attached Images

MoltoBellaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If it's from a Plastic Plant, it would be a Tear.
If it's Fin Rot, it would just be like disappearing with a Black outline. The Best Way to cure is Clean Water. You should also add Aquarium Salt to prevent Infection. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 
MoltoBellaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
If it's from a Plastic Plant, it would be a Tear.
If it's Fin Rot, it would just be like disappearing with a Black outline. The Best Way to cure is Clean Water. You should also add Aquarium Salt to prevent Infection. :)
So it doesn't look like fin rot to you? What kind of plant can I replace that terrible plastic one with? And how much salt do I put in a 1 gallon tank? Sorry for all the questions I am just so concerned with Pepe!!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I'm not sure... I can't really see the Wound. You could put in a Live Plant. It would help with the Ammonia and Stuff. Otherwise, you could put in a Silk Plant. It's like a Plastic Plant but won't cause Tears and is Super Soft.
Do you know the Pantyhose Test? If Pantyhose tears against a Tank Decoration, it would also snag your Betta's Fins.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 
Luimeril

that, my dear, is tail biting. it's quite common in long finned bettas. what size tank is he in? you can curb tail biting, but can rarely stop it for good. try rearranging his decor at every water change. make sure he can't see another betta, if you have multiple bettas. does he have a filter?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #6 
MoltoBellaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I'm not sure... I can't really see the Wound. You could put in a Live Plant. It would help with the Ammonia and Stuff. Otherwise, you could put in a Silk Plant. It's like a Plastic Plant but won't cause Tears and is Super Soft.
Do you know the Pantyhose Test? If Pantyhose tears against a Tank Decoration, it would also snag your Betta's Fins.
Okay thank you! You really know your stuff! How much salt should I add for the
one gallon tank?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #7 
MoltoBellaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
that, my dear, is tail biting. it's quite common in long finned bettas. what size tank is he in? you can curb tail biting, but can rarely stop it for good. try rearranging his decor at every water change. make sure he can't see another betta, if you have multiple bettas. does he have a filter?
One gallon, no other betta around him, and yes he does have a filter.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 
lelei

You know it's so weird, cuz when we got our Sammy, I thought his tail was if you will unique..different..until recently I was also told he was a tail biter..but this is how we got him..so for the most part I didnt know what to do about it..and didnt even realize there was a prob..

now thinking of it..i can only imagine what kind of tail he used to have..but he is a happy and healthy betta, so I havent used anything to medicate his tail..and it seems fine..(never saw fin rot) but agian at the time, about 2 months ago..

I wouldnt of known what it was..I learned so much from this forum:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 
Luimeril

i've found, through personal experience, that in a one gallon, my delta tail, Dante, destroyed his tail, but it was easier to curb it in his 2 gallon. i got him a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper, and put lots of plants in his tank, and he stopped tail biting. if i saw new bites, i'd rearrange his plants during his next water change. it could be a combination of not enough decor, and the filter annoying him.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
MoltoBellaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i've found, through personal experience, that in a one gallon, my delta tail, Dante, destroyed his tail, but it was easier to curb it in his 2 gallon. i got him a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper, and put lots of plants in his tank, and he stopped tail biting. if i saw new bites, i'd rearrange his plants during his next water change. it could be a combination of not enough decor, and the filter annoying him.
Okay thank you, I am going to buy him some new plants today and I will clean his tank and rearrange everything! On an unrelated matter, do you think salt in the water is needed?